Used Electric powerline cable as a crowding fence?

Help Support CattleToday:

IndianCreekcowboy

Reaction score
I had some overhead Electric power transmission lines rerouted on our farm and was able to keep the removed poles and lines. I am toying with the idea of using the lines to use as a crowding type lane fence to move cattle into our working pen. anyone ever use this? Tips to tighten keep tension on and pics would be greatly appreciated.

We use some cable fencing. At your brace posts get a large heavy spring and put washers on both sides of a redi rod use torch and bend one end to hold cable. I can't remember off top of my head but like 1' of ready rod per 200' of fence or something. Tighten it up when you make your ends. Send me your email and I can send you a picture of a short stretch we did in freestall barn to keep cows from crawling thru the stalls.

I use threaded rod with a chain link cut in half welded to one end for the cable to go through and be attached. The other end goes through a post with a big nut and washer on the end so it can be tightened up as required. The rod I use is 12mm cyclone rod, used in house construction in high wind areas, connects the top plate to the floor and footings, it is very cheap and available in lengths up to 3 metre I think.

Ken

Latest posts