Unloading round bales

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
What is the minimum hp tractor with front end loader that could be used to unload and stack round hay bales 3 high weighing 1000 to 1200 lbs.

cowboy43 said:
What is the minimum hp tractor with front end loader that could be used to unload and stack round hay bales 3 high weighing 1000 to 1200 lbs.

When I baled hay I owned several tractors it comes down to weight more than horsepower when lifting overhead.
Today's new tractors I would say a minimum of 60hp. With some of the short coupled new ones I would want a bale on the back. I got rid of a 50hp fwd because it stood on end more than once. I would want a tractor that weighed at least 4500 lbs IMOO.

True Grit Farms said:
A 55gal drum cut in half filled with concrete and adapted to fit on the 3pt hitch will fix all your tipping concerns.

I have a 30 gallon with a drawbar through it filled with concrete.
Your right it works it's a pain in the butt to hook up to move a few bales of hay.
I would hook it on my small tractors in a pinch.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:
A 55gal drum cut in half filled with concrete and adapted to fit on the 3pt hitch will fix all your tipping concerns.

Or just spear another bale to counter balance the weight.

In some cases like mine you don't have that bale till you take it off the trailer.

probably a 55hp with a bale on the rear would be OK.. depending on the tractor..

like a 5055 JD would be OK.. a old 50hp ford.. idk

Does no one put calcium in tires anymore?

Safest would be 60 hp + with loaded rear tires. 2 wheel drive front ends take an awful beating carrying a loader.

I wouldn't go less than 65. I also have a M7040 that will do it but I wouldn't want to without the tires being filled and or a counterweight as noted. My tires are filled with rim guard.

Its tough to to do because its over the top of the tractor at maximum lift and you don't have much push when it comes to taking it back down. Its hard to see what you are doing and time consuming. My hay barn is tall enough to do it but I seldom do.

I unload hundreds of bales a year from a double stacked trailer and pile them 3 high with a Ford 5000 with loaded back tires and once I have a bale off the trailer I keep one on the rear spear for some added stability.

This time of year we keep the 3pt brush hog on a 4600 ford, it works, more than 1 way to skin a dog.

I handle 4x5's every year with my Mahindra 4025 fwd 42 hp tractor. No real counterweight and tires aren't loaded. The rear gets a bit light but no trouble with tipping. If the bales were 1200 lbs I'd want a bale on the back. For what it's worth, that tractor weighs 5,000 lbs without the loader.

I have a Kubota L4060 that'll do it fine. I usually have something on the back, but not always.