Unconventional Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoser

Reaction score

I bought 5 Galloway x Charolais heifers from an old guy with a respected operation. I never heard of anyone else raising this cross but these girls are deep bodied, calm, beefy animals. I bred them black angus and they gave birth to red calves. They took great care of their offspring and had sufficient milk.

Does anyone else have expirience with this cross? What are some unconventional crosses you have raised or come across that have done well?

Hoser":ai8g5rx5 said:

I bought 5 Galloway x Charolais heifers from an old guy with a respected operation. I never heard of anyone else raising this cross but these girls are deep bodied, calm, beefy animals. I bred them black angus and they gave birth to red calves. They took great care of their offspring and had sufficient milk.

Does anyone else have expirience with this cross? What are some conventional crosses you have raised or come across that have done well?

Not sure how you got red calves unless your bull wasn't purebred BA.

TennesseeTuxedo":2ohcrecj said:
Hoser":2ohcrecj said:

Does anyone else have expirience with this cross? What are some conventional crosses you have raised or come across that have done well?

I agree I understand the diluter getting a grey to white. Where did that red gene fall out of the DNA crayola box.

About 30 years ago I bought a few Brahman x Holstein heifer calves and raised them on a bottle. The calves from gray Brahman bulls were always solid black, but I bought one that was sired by a red Brahman bull. She was a black roan.

I was using a Simmental bull back then, and those cows raised calves that would really mash the scales.

Caustic Burno":13w6fgwm said:
TennesseeTuxedo":13w6fgwm said:
Hoser":13w6fgwm said:

I agree I understand the diluter getting a grey to white. Where did that red gene fall out of the DNA crayola box.
Maybe the red gene came from the Galloway side and some black Angus bulls are red gene carriers.

I Cross the belted Galloway cows to Black Angus and the crossbred cows made a great momma cow that'll raises big calves that outperformed the Angus calves.

I don't think anyone here does a more unconventional cross than me ...

Aubrac x Mashona
Mashona x Aubrac

We like them and get requests for them.

TennesseeTuxedo":1b3s79xm said:
Hoser":1b3s79xm said:

In Canada there is just a Canadian Angus Association. Black and Red are not separated like they are in the states. Farms tend to breed one or the other but some just let the two colours run together.

Hoser":1ho53sts said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1ho53sts said:
Hoser":1ho53sts said:

In Canada there is just a Canadian Angus Association. Black and Red are not separated like they are in the states. Farms tend to breed one or the other but some just let the two colours run together.

Gotcha, welcome to Cattle Today!

TennesseeTuxedo":2r4t1y9h said:
Hoser":2r4t1y9h said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2r4t1y9h said:

Gotcha, welcome to Cattle Today!
Thanks!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":19dhlkmr said:
A black Angus bull carrying the red gene will throw "an occasional" red calf out of red carrying dams. At most 50% .
I am fortunate to have one of these gorgeous girls, she is actually a maroon color

Hoser":1tdng7en said:

Does anyone else have expirience with this cross? What are some unconventional crosses you have raised or come across that have done well?

I would guess that there is a red gene from the Galloway and a red gene in the black Angus bull. That would probably explain the red calves.

One cross I'd like to see is Gelbvieh x Salers.. I have a few that also have Shorthorn and Hereford, and they're great cows.. In place of Gelbvieh I could also see Aubrac or Tarantaise... any of those would moderate the Salers a bit.

Nesikep":olkh8yxc said:
One cross I'd like to see is Gelbvieh x Salers.. I have a few that also have Shorthorn and Hereford, and they're great cows.. In place of Gelbvieh I could also see Aubrac or Tarantaise... any of those would moderate the Salers a bit.

There have been some pretty tremendous cows resulting from using Aubrac bulls on Gelbvieh cows (I've never sen it the other direction, but I'd imagine they'd be excellent as well). One of the larger purebred (90-99%) Aubrac breeders has many of his foundation cows go back to that cross.

FWIW.

Also, and generally speaking, you wouldn't get the same muscling with a Tarentaise as with the Aubrac.

WalnutCrest":2bzs0wmo said:
Nesikep":2bzs0wmo said:

There have been some pretty tremendous cows resulting from using Aubrac bulls on Gelbvieh cows (I've never sen it the other direction, but I'd imagine they'd be excellent as well). One of the larger purebred (90-99%) Aubrac breeders has many of his foundation cows go back to that cross.

FWIW.

Also, and generally speaking, you wouldn't get the same muscling with a Tarentaise as with the Aubrac.
I just remember seeing Dylan Bigg's Tarantaise bull, and he looked really nice

There was a person on my Facebook group who ran a mini Zebu bull with his Angus and Charolais heifers. He retained the heifers from that cross turns out to be good cows. F1 Mini Brangus cows were a bit smaller than Angus cows but the F1 Mini Charbray cows were about same size as an Angus cow.

Latest posts