Type of rake

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
My grandpa used to say," nobody should rake hay without they've baled hay first", and I'll have to say, I agree with him. My sweet and lovely has been putting up such an effort this hay season, has never raked before. We use a rollerbar, and it takes technique for all the naysayers with v rakes. I am just happy to have help, and after about 30 acres of chewings, she's getting it!. Gonna be a good year for hay, we've had some laughs, cause she doesn't bow down, half irish, half cherokee, she puts me in my place, at the proper time.

My wife is head rake person. We use single wide rotary rakes and have to be careful not to rake over a rock. She whips these kids into shape pretty quick. Could not ask for better windrows!

Started making hay with roller bar rake and it did an ok job but it really liked to rope the hay, also not very quick.

Went to a 13' rotary and it made the nicest fluffiest windrows that would dry down awesome and baling was a pleasure but also was slow. Also had a lot of moving mechanical parts to it.

Have a 12 wheel carted v-rake now and it does a job about the roller bar but man is it fast. I do just about everything myself and it is the only way possible I can rake 40+ acres of hay and get it baled in the same day. Also it is stupid simple, no pto/gears/ujoints/etc to have to worry about.

chevytaHOE5674 said:
Started making hay with roller bar rake and it did an ok job but it really liked to rope the hay, also not very quick.

Went to a 13' rotary and it made the nicest fluffiest windrows that would dry down awesome and baling was a pleasure but also was slow. Also had a lot of moving mechanical parts to it.

Have a 12 wheel carted v-rake now and it does a job about the roller bar but man is it fast. I do just about everything myself and it is the only way possible I can rake 40+ acres of hay and get it baled in the same day. Also it is stupid simple, no pto/gears/ujoints/etc to have to worry about.
I know I'll have to get another eventually, it is slow in a big field, especially for a one person operation.

Rake everything double with 256 every year on all 280 acres. It really slows a day down, but I am not ready to splurge on the Vermeer 2800 until I can find a steal of a deal. As with the haybine, if I was to put an upkeep cost on the rake for the number of acres it does, the cost would be less than 50 cents an acre each year.

Aaron said:
Rake everything double with 256 every year on all 280 acres. It really slows a day down, but I am not ready to splurge on the Vermeer 2800 until I can find a steal of a deal. As with the haybine, if I was to put an upkeep cost on the rake for the number of acres it does, the cost would be less than 50 cents an acre each year.

If you do ever get a vermeer roller bar, would it be alright if I borrow it to do a couple hundred acres?

sim.-ang.king said:
Aaron said:

If you do ever get a vermeer roller bar, would it be alright if I borrow it to do a couple hundred acres?

Pretty sure you will be able to afford one before I will.

kenny thomas said:
cowrancher75 said:
love my v rake.. best thing on the farm. hook it and it does what its supposed to.

Mine is useless in weedy hay or things like Johnson grass.

What kind do you have? Friend of mine has a Kuhn and it does ok with Johnson grass as long as you are going fast enough.

pricefarm said:
kenny thomas said:
cowrancher75 said:
love my v rake.. best thing on the farm. hook it and it does what its supposed to.

What kind do you have? Friend of mine has a Kuhn and it does ok with Johnson grass as long as you are going fast enough.
Cheaper Vermeer

pricefarm said:
kenny thomas said:
cowrancher75 said:

Speed has nothing to do with the function of a wheeled rake. Slower it will tuck the hay into a nice windrow. 48 inch wide windrows work the best it lets the hay go through the last two wheels without balling up.

Aaron said:
sim.-ang.king said:
Aaron said:

Pretty sure you will be able to afford one before I will.
Yeah, but then it wouldn't be free, like if my good friend let be borrow his!

What types of rake do you use? I have the usual rake for the lawn, as well as for acorns, as there are many oaks growing around my house. Also, I recently read a good review on choosing a garden tool and bought myself a rake for dead grass https://thetoolassistant.com/best-rake-for-dead-grass/. It has its own characteristics and perfectly removes excess grass from the lawn.

Aaron said:

Here as well, have my entire life. We don't have quite the number of acres as you but I've spent a lot of time on an M with a 256, or 585 and 256.

We got a side delivery rake, does a decent job but it's slow.. had a 5 wheel JD rake, thing broke tines faster that you could keep up replacing them, and you'd find them in your tractor tire the next year

Today's work, baling tonight

Latest posts