Treating Rough Cut White Oak Flat Racks?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I got tired to repairing purchased racks so I bolted together two HD units from home sawn white oak. I am thinking about doing a little sealing before they get used. Any tips on:

just sealing the end grain vs. the entire surface?
using Wolman Copper Coat vs. premium deck stain?
expected life of white oak?

I soak it with thompsons. Doesn;t change the color of the wood and it doesn;t seem to change through the years.

Is the oak still green? Deck sealers with color in them tend to offer more protection because the UV inhibitors are in the color. When buying a sealer you get what you pay for. The guy on the local "fix it" show says sealer is about $10 per gallon per year. Meaning $20 per gallon should last 2 years. I don't know if I believe that or not. I put $40 Defy sealer on my deck and the part that gets the worst sun lasted 2 years, but I used clear sealer. I would be interested to know what luck others have had with different sealers. If the oak is still green I don't think you will have much luck sealing it until it dries out. Joe

All wood decked wagons and trailers here get painted top and bottom with used motor oil on a hot day in the full sun. (do the bottom side first!) If it is hay wagons and worried about it being slippery, throw a couple of handfuls of sand across it.

Latest posts