Training Aids

Help Support CattleToday:

Mike Franklin

Reaction score
So how do ya feel about the responsible use of spurs, whips, stud chains, quirts, etc.
While I don't endorse their being used to abuse a horse, I do see where they are, at times, needed. There aren't many I recommend for use by new riders or those who aren't trained in their use.

I'm ok with all of them as long as the horse is not abused. If used properly they can be very valuable training aids. Heck I use a fiberglass golf shaft as a training tool. My horse kicked me going into his stall one night. I picked up the golf shaft and went in and beat him about the rear hocks. He squats now when I walk up behind him.

So add fiber glass golf shafts to your list.

i have no problems with them when used correctly. i hardly ever use spurs on a horse. we do have one that when used in the pasture you need spurs to make here cross a creek or step over a water hole. whips are fine for driving cattle or makeing a cow get to moving but a rope will work too. quirts, long split reins work great there. sometimes a stud chain is needed to keep a stud in check around other horse.

a fiber glass cattle sorting stick works good for loading a colt or young horse. lead them up to the back of the trailer and tap them behind the front ankles with the stick. just tap not hit. do not pull on the colt just hold him and tap him on the back of his front ankles. tap one ankle when he moves the foot forwards tap the other until he moves it forewards then the other and so fourth. he may step sideway or back up but thats fine just keep tappin and talking to him. if he does back away just keep tapping the ankles and take him back to the trailer. it may take a few minutes or several minutes but he will pick up that foot and put it in the trailer. then tap the one on the ground and usually they will go right on in the trailer once they get one in. if not step up in the trailer and keep tappin until he goes all the way in. then lead the colt up and tie him in the trailer and slip out past him and close the gate.

You know, I've seen some people do some stupid things, and any tool or aid can be misused. I've had people say dumb things to me, seeing me ride with spurs. (Mostly younger greener kids, that don't understand the use of spurs, and consider them cruel under any circumstance.) I was taught to ride on roping and cutting horses, and spurs were always just part of riding... another form of communication, "Power Steering" as Grandpa used to call them. If a horse is trained for them, they are very effective, with minimal use. BUT! I have seen some people jump on one or 2 that had never been ridden with spurs, and saw one horse whip his head around, bite the guy's pantleg, and pull him right off the saddle.
As far as other things-whips, poles etc. The most creative thing I ever saw was a guy with a 2"x2", 3 foot long piece of wood, with a water balloon taped on the end. He used it One time, on a mare that reared up every time she was cued to back. Cracked her right between the ears as she went up, balloon popped, the water ran down her head, and she never reared again. He said she quit 'cause she thought she bumped her head and was bleeding.
My Dad bought a quarter running mare off the track way back when, in AZ, that had a nasty habit of backing FAST when he tried to mount. So, he pointed her butt at a big ol' saguaro cactus, and... well, she stood still for mounting after that.
It's funny to me, people spend all this time and money for expensive "Training Methods", because they don't want to "Be Cruel" to their horse, and want to bond with a 1200# puppy dog, when if you treat them like a horse, and respect the fact that they are NOT dogs, you get alot more done in alot less time. JMO.

The greatest piece of equipment is an open mind and remember you have two eyes and two ears and one mouth.Pay attention twice as much as you talk.Ask questions no matter how dumb they seem.Your greatest tool is your brain.

smart_slider":2xrk3qqb said:
mike, as long as they are used responsibly and have a good effect on the horse, i will use them.
ss
you watch a good horseman.. i mean a horseman work a colt he uses his head to get the colt working his way. dont see any aids other than experiance and patience. i think of a rope horse trainer over in west ala. that was working with one in the box. with a tornado on the ground his wife beggin him to get in. but he wouldnt quit till he had him set in the box

Mike Franklin":3qi4kiy1 said:
So how do ya feel about the responsible use of spurs, whips, stud chains, quirts, etc.
While I don't endorse their being used to abuse a horse, I do see where they are, at times, needed. There aren't many I recommend for use by new riders or those who aren't trained in their use.

An trainer wearing spurs and using a riding whip, and training a horse to lead using a lead shank is just being efficient. These aids help you apply pressure in an efficient and timely manner. It should not be a contest to see if you don't have to use these, they should always be present to be used when needed, again, always the sign of a real trainer or horse person in my book. Of course nowadays there is a lot of hocus-pocus bunk with the whispering and chasing them around in circles with extra exspensive special whips with special names and they tell you how gentle they are and not to use normal training aids (just there exspensive special named products), but those people really never train everyday usable horses, it is just entertainment value for novice riders.

clampitt":1wx6d4zi said:
Ask questions no matter how dumb they seem.Your greatest tool is your brain.

You nailed it right there!
If you use training aids to create fear or to force the horse your only creating other problems.
I have recently quit wearing spurs on young horses. Now I always used spurs as just an extension of my legs. Never for more power. My spurs are mild ones to. But what I have found is that my colts turn out better[lighter, more sensative, more responsive] if I wait until they are farther along in training before I wear spurs. Also with the hotter breeds when you wear spurs earlier in their training there is more of a chance of them becoming a tail swisher. No spurs force me to be a smarter trainer.
Its the same idea with bits. There is a lot of power in a snaffle bit. I use a halter for the first few rides and then when im pretty sure there is little chance of the colt bucking very hard I use a hackamore[non mechanical hackamore] from there on out until he is ready [years down the road]to be introduced to the bridle.
Latter on with the lateral work example, shoulder-in, travers, renvers, half-pass I use the stick to help teach. But its only as an extention of arm. Its not for extra strength.
My idea is that the farther a long the horse is in training the more training aids[bridle bits,spurs, etc.] you can use but your not using them for more power. Your using them for more refinement. Your not using them for more bite. Your using them so you dont have to move as much to signal your horse.
Dont get me wrong, I have turned out pretty good horses using snaffles, spurs, etc. I just find its easier for me to turn out better horses with less.

Latest posts