Trailers (top-hat)

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with top hat trailers got in touch with a guy in central Tx for a 24x7 basically 10k out the door to add sliding gates inside it is 225 each and 285 to add Butterfly gate on back. Trying to see if there good trailers or not.

Been around over 30 years, multiple locations and 200 dealers. Bet they're doing something right but I personally know nothing about them.

TexasBred said:
Been around over 30 years, multiple locations and 200 dealers. Bet they're doing something right but I personally know nothing about them.

This one place is about 4 hrs from me but guy told me he could deliver to me or meet halfway for 1.50 a loaded mile . Guess I'll do more research

I have a 20' covered stock trailer I bought new about 10 years ago. I don't use it every day (or every month), but I haven't had any problems so far. I bought it from a tractor dealership that was discontinuing selling trailers, and got it for if I remember right was around $500.00 less than the Gooseneck brand 16' open top I had been looking at.

I haven't owned one but I've looked at that exact trailer. I think it's a good value for that price range of trailer.

The Gooseneck brand which would be comparable is more expensive and over rated IMO.

One thing I will try on my next trailer is the rubber floor. The boards are just too slick and I dont want pannels in the floor of my trailer nor do I want to redo a whole board floor I just paid for.

The other thing I wont do is a tarp. I'll get the solid top. I haven't had any issues with the trap but long term it's not some thing I want to worry about.

I believe they are made in Mt. Pleasant, Tx. I know several guys that have them and never heard anything bad about them. If you get a new trailer look into the rubber floor like Brute says or at least nail some cattle panels down. New trailer floors are really slick. I had a cow slip and separate her pelvis the first time I used mine. 10k is a good price for a 24'. Not sure how handy the sliders would be on cut gates, butterfly or slider on the back is a hard decision. Have you looked at 271 trailers website? Sometimes they have some really good deals.

For four thousand more you can get a Big Bend with all the things mentioned that the above posters say they want. They are far superior trailers but of course you are paying more but if you look at the added cost divided of the life of the trailer plus the higher resale value if you do decide to sell it... well its really not much more money.

Compare their stock items to the others. I was considering a Neckover but when I added the feautures that I wanted, it was almost as high as the Big Bend. They are a different design so you need to look at one. They don't have the bent plate bottoms that trap manure in the trailer. Theirs is open and the manure goes out the sides as it dries out. There are a couple other brands designed like this.

Must haves for me were a rubber cleated floor, solid top, cut gates, butterfly rear gates, interior lighting, and a full escape gate.

Lucky said:
I believe they are made in Mt. Pleasant, Tx. I know several guys that have them and never heard anything bad about them. If you get a new trailer look into the rubber floor like Brute says or at least nail some cattle panels down. New trailer floors are really slick. I had a cow slip and separate her pelvis the first time I used mine. 10k is a good price for a 24'. Not sure how handy the sliders would be on cut gates, butterfly or slider on the back is a hard decision. Have you looked at 271 trailers website? Sometimes they have some really good deals.

Not for me. I wouldn't have a trailer with butterfly back gates.

Rafter S said:
Lucky said:

Guess we all have our preferences. I feel the same way about the sliders.

I got a good used Wilson 20ft GN with a divider, rear slider, etc for $6500.. we got ours from Belle Fourche South dakota.. can't remember the name of the dealer right now

TexasBred said:
Rafter S said:
Lucky said:

Why? I don't see a downside to the sliders. You can slide the left half to load and unload at a chute, or open the whole back end to unload in the pasture. When using a butterfly gate I can't tell you how many times I've had to fight to push cattle out of the way so I could close the gate that was opened to the inside, and it wouldn't open to the outside because the trailer was a little too far to one side, or the chute wasn't wide enough.

Rafter S said:
TexasBred said:
Rafter S said:

Why? I don't see a downside to the sliders. You can slide the left half to load and unload at a chute, or open the whole back end to unload in the pasture. When using a butterfly gate I can't tell you how many times I've had to fight to push cattle out of the way so I could close the gate that was opened to the inside, and it wouldn't open to the outside because the trailer was a little too far to one side, or the chute wasn't wide enough.
I've just never had that problem Rafter. Might happen tomorrow but not yet. On the other hand seems you'd constantly be having to clean the channel out where the sliding gates slide to keep it working. I guess we all have out preferences on many things. :nod:

Rafter S said:
TexasBred said:
Rafter S said:

They're like saloon doors.....he can work em when he's drunk.. :D

TexasBred said:
Rafter S said:
TexasBred said:

I've just never had that problem Rafter. Might happen tomorrow but not yet. On the other hand seems you'd constantly be having to clean the channel out where the sliding gates slide to keep it working. I guess we all have out preferences on many things. :nod:

That's never been a problem for me.

I can see where if you load out of a narrow one animal wide chute, the saloon door might not be the best for you but I set up my load out chute wide to where I just have to get close and flop the doors open against the side. I also have a trailer with a slider but hate to use it. To many times if backed up to a wide chute the animals balk at going through the narrow passage and then they all decide to go at once wedging themselves in and stopping the whole process.

With saloon doors you don't have to be exactly squared up to the chute. No gaps at the side for the calves to stick their head through.

Whelp....I'm still using the 20ft Gooseneck Dad and I bought in 1979.

Butterfly gate...load through single file alley...rare to have problems with anything coming back at me.

I have to have some one on the slide. I've had them run full speed, snack the back of the trailer and be coming right back like a rubber ball. :lol:

My big complaint is you cant stack them in with butterfly gates. Always have to have enough room to close the gate.

When you load out big alleys or gates that big swing is nice. It can cover a lot ground.

current trailer has a slider. Slider is great for loading out of an alley or squeeze chute, especially when packing the trailer full. Butterfly is better for loading in odd spots or dragging a cow in with a horse. Butterfly is also easier if you use horses very often. For my use the slider is better. I'd like to get a 16' gooseneck with butterfly gates some day too. Those are just my thoughts from owning both.

I second the Big Bend trailers as option. They are great trailers but pricey.

Brute 23 said:
I have to have some one on the slide. I've had them run full speed, snack the back of the trailer and be coming right back like a rubber ball. :lol:

My big complaint is you cant stack them in with butterfly gates. Always have to have enough room to close the gate.

When you load out big alleys or gates that big swing is nice. It can cover a lot ground.

Keeps me from over crowding. Been wanting to add on to the chutes and raise the header enough to be able to swing the gate out. Hasn't gotten done the last 20 years so I doubt it will ever make It to the top of the list. :lol:

Latest posts