Tractor steering issue

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
I have an Agco Allis tractor.....sometimes when I start it up for the first time in a few days, the steering wheel won't move...like its stuck. I'm pretty sure it runs off the hydraulic system. The rest of the hydraulics works fine
then after I let it run for 5 or 10 minutes the steering wheel turns just like it should.
What would cause it to stick like that? Maybe needs new filters?

filters wouldn't hurt, it sounds like the pump is losing prime somehow... The correct grade of oil that doesn't foam could be another thing to look at, and of course the level.

ALACOWMAN":3ptx9dz0 said:
Is the hydraulic pump making a noise cold??

I don't know...it could be. I first noticed it back last winter during cold weather.....after it ran a few minutes and warmed up everything worked fine. I'll check it tomorrow and the levels.

does your tractor not have power steering.if so id check the power sterring it maybe out of fluid.i know our old 7700 runs out of power steering fluid.never heard of steering running off the hydro pump.

bigbull338":1j7itf9h said:
does your tractor not have power steering.if so id check the power sterring it maybe out of fluid.i know our old 7700 runs out of power steering fluid.never heard of steering running off the hydro pump.

Yes its power steering. but not sure if its separate as in its own PS fluid etc.
I was looking thru the operators manual and it looks like it has its own pump and filter but draws from the same reservoir as the remote hydraulics.

Very common to have a pump for the main hydraulics and another dedicated to the power steering, and even sometimes a third for the transmission.

Change the filters and check the strainer on the inlet. Does sound like it might be losing prime like Nesikep said.

Also consult the manual and make sure that you're running the correct weight oil for your temperature range.

Banjo":2snxc7na said:
I have an Agco Allis tractor.....sometimes when I start it up for the first time in a few days, the steering wheel won't move...like its stuck. I'm pretty sure it runs off the hydraulic system. The rest of the hydraulics works fine
then after I let it run for 5 or 10 minutes the steering wheel turns just like it should.
What would cause it to stick like that? Maybe needs new filters?

Really need to know the model of the tractor.
Most tractors that operate the power steering pump with the hydraulics will have a priority valve. This valve might me sticking and when the oil warms it will move the valve.My case-ih 4230 has a MCV valve that provides pressure to the steering first and also the PTO. If the valve sticks then no PTO or steering.

Sorry I thought I told the model.....its a 6690

Took about 3 days to get the oil filters. The oil level was low....filled it up, cranked it up and everything thing worked fine.....I'll keep checking it and see if the steering sticks at the startup anymore.

Latest posts