Timeless Fence for Sheep and Cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

mml373

Reaction score
I recently ran across this: https://timelessfencesystem.com and was wondering what folks think about using their system for containing sheep (primarily) and also cattle. I use high tensile, electrified, woven wire on my farm for containing sheep. The entire fence is electrified and it will get your attention if you touch it. I've done this to keep predators out, in addition to using guardian dogs.

My concern is that multiple parallel layers of single strand high tensile electrified fence in the Timeless Fence T-posts will not keep out predators as well as electrified woven wire. They can slip through. That said, a well known sheep rancher (Greg Judy) is an advocate for the Timeless Fence system. One nice feature it has is that holes are pre-drilled every 3 inches along the length of the t-posts, so you can run a couple or three lines of high tensile steel wire down low and then space them out more as you go up. Probably 7 or 8 lines of high tensile steel wire to cover the entire height of fence, which could get expensive depending on your situation.

I was thinking about the fence to replace aging barbed wire perimeter fence. It would contain sheep and some cattle. Interested in folks' input/experience/thoughts.

I don't believe PVC is "timeless" when left in the sun. I have used many of those white plastic "UV resistant" insulators and they turn into crumbling junk after a few years.

I'm also very against electric as a perimeter fence. It is certain that at some point you will have an electric failure, either a short, power loss, lightning, fencer failure, etc. Without any power that fence isn't effective. Fine for divider fences, but I would want woven wire or many strands of barb for the outside.

I don't believe PVC is "timeless" when left in the sun. I have used many of those white plastic "UV resistant" insulators and they turn into crumbling junk after a few years.

I'm also very against electric as a perimeter fence. It is certain that at some point you will have an electric failure, either a short, power loss, lightning, fencer failure, etc. Without any power that fence isn't effective. Fine for divider fences, but I would want woven wire or many strands of barb for the outside.
Understood. My electric is solar powered but my plan is to buy a legit, remote-controllable, electric charger and use the solar as backup (I've not no problems with it, and hot is HOT).

Most manufacturers sell UV-stable composite or PVC posts. My main concern is grass or brush fire, but these seem pretty resilient to fast-moving grass fires. The tension is on metal posts sunk deep into the ground, and I have metal t-posts with standoff insulators strategically spaced down the line.

Power failure on an electric fence shouldn't mean you'll have cattle instantly through the fence. New cattle, hungry cattle or a weak charger amd you'll have cattle out.

I feel an electric fence will need to be regularly checked to see if it is working and a hot charger would be a must.

So a plastic fence called timeless... 🤔
You would think in their add they would at least try to get the post somewhat plum and straight. I think it's silly, tacky looking and cheap made but overpriced.

So a plastic fence called timeless... 🤔
You would think in their add they would at least try to get the post somewhat plum and straight. I think it's silly, tacky looking and cheap made but overpriced.
I agree. Who ever build the fences in all of their adds did a poor job. Not good marketing. We've built electric fences with old oily fiberglass sucker rods that look better than their pictures.

I agree. Who ever build the fences in all of their adds did a poor job. Not good marketing. We've built electric fences with old oily fiberglass sucker rods that look better than their pictures.

Those fiberglass sucker rods make dang good posts. Probably the closest thing to a "timeless" electric fence there is.

Drill holes in them, run HT smooth and tie the wire directly to the posts. I have yet to find an insulator that works as well as that does.

Those fiberglass sucker rods make dang good posts. Probably the closest thing to a "timeless" electric fence there is.

Drill holes in them, run HT smooth and tie the wire directly to the posts. I have yet to find an insulator that works as well as that does.
I agree. We need to get around to painting our post. I was told with enough time in the sun the fiberglass begans to get fuzzy and when it rains the fuzz will hold enough water to short out the fence. I guess aside from that a fire is the only thing that would mess it up. I wonder if they make fire proof paint that would work for that job?

I agree. We need to get around to painting our post. I was told with enough time in the sun the fiberglass begans to get fuzzy and when it rains the fuzz will hold enough water to short out the fence. I guess aside from that a fire is the only thing that would mess it up. I wonder if they make fire proof paint that would work for that job?

I haven't heard that. I suppose it's possible though. The posts I put up 10 years ago are no fuzzier than they were to start with. Probably depends on what kind of shape they're in from the get go.

They do suck to cut and handle but once they're in that's about as maintenance free as it gets.

I don't think a quick grass fire would hurt the posts much, but the paint could catch.

An adequately grounded electric fence of sufficient joules will keep cattle where they belong as a lower cost per animal unit
than a non electric fence. <Period LVR The fact remains one should not build any fence and not expect to at least do visual maintenance.

They've actually done studies on these and they handle grass fires quite well. Around here, that's all we're likely to see. Grass fires are typically flashy and relatively cool burning. Not lasting enough to really be an issue for this.

They've actually done studies on these and they handle grass fires quite well. Around here, that's all we're likely to see. Grass fires are typically flashy and relatively cool burning. Not lasting enough to really be an issue for this.
Studies aside, What is your personal experience regarding posts designed for electric fencing? I have used about anything available including
PVC to get deep enough to carry voltage across water. Falling limbs and growth in the fence line have caused the most outages for me.
Never dealt with a grass fire. I have some 6' x 11/16" that have been in the ground over ten years.

I have some timeless fence. Juniper posts that last forever that have rotted off. Barb wire that people have samples of in their antique wire collections. The patches in the fence have patches. I believe Noah built most of this fence back before he took up boat building. I don't believe it would hold sheep. It just barely holds cows. But if time counts as anything it is certainly timeless.

Studies aside, What is your personal experience regarding posts designed for electric fencing? I have used about anything available including
PVC to get deep enough to carry voltage across water. Falling limbs and growth in the fence line have caused the most outages for me.
Never dealt with a grass fire. I have some 6' x 11/16" that have been in the ground over ten years.
I have composite posts for about 7 acres set aside for sheep. They are supposed to be resilient to falling limbs, vehicles running off the road, etc. Never have seen firsthand, haha, but will say the fence is strong and barbed wire certainly has not held up to vehicles running into it, nor tree limbs.

I have some timeless fence. Juniper posts that last forever that have rotted off. Barb wire that people have samples of in their antique wire collections. The patches in the fence have patches. I believe Noah built most of this fence back before he took up boat building. I don't believe it would hold sheep. It just barely holds cows. But if time counts as anything it is certainly timeless.
This is the condition of most of the barbed wire on my farm, hence why I'm replacing it over the next n number of years, heheheh.
As with everything else on this farm, the fence is worn out too. I'd say the previous owners definitely got their money's worth out of everything. I'm lucky the land is still productive, as the well, house, shop, fence, and electrical infrastructure all are having to be replaced or substantially remodeled, hahaha.

I have composite posts for about 7 acres set aside for sheep. They are supposed to be resilient to falling limbs, vehicles running off the road, etc. Never have seen firsthand, haha, but will say the fence is strong and barbed wire certainly has not held up to vehicles running into it, nor tree limbs.
Well let's see it.....

This is the condition of most of the barbed wire on my farm, hence why I'm replacing it over the next n number of years, heheheh.
As with everything else on this farm, the fence is worn out too. I'd say the previous owners definitely got their money's worth out of everything. I'm lucky the land is still productive, as the well, house, shop, fence, and electrical infrastructure all are having to be replaced or substantially remodeled, hahaha.
If it is going to take the next number of years to get an electric fence around 7 acres and do whatever, this will be where I get off the
bus as I would hate to impede your rate of progress. I wish you well.....LVR

If it is going to take the next number of years to get an electric fence around 7 acres and do whatever, this will be where I get off the
bus as I would hate to impede your rate of progress. I wish you well.....LVR
Not following you, Lee. Please explain.

Not following you, Lee. Please explain.
mm1373 > In all candor I find myself at a loss for words. Sometimes I tend to sprinkle my replies with euphemisms.
You have my sincere apologies for the way you will feel when you get the meaning in my reply. I still wish you well,, LVR

Latest posts