Thoughts on this Marbling?

Help Support CattleToday:

my thoughts are that almost any steak will taste great if it is prepared correctly. Do you marinate the steaks? do you grill? do you and the kids like almost rare or well done steaks? how about dry rubs? are they cooked slowly under low heat or thrown on a hot skillet and that 1 1/2 steak done in a few minutes? Sorry, just asking questions because I love a great marinated steak slowly grilled on an old charcoal fired grill while I sip on a nice cold Michelob ultra. then cut into that nice juice steak lightly brown on the outside and shiny pink half way through the center. to answer your question: the marbling looks fine and feeding isn't always the answer to more marbling. If the genetics aren't there, grain will only add fat around the outside and get trimmed off anyway. Enjoy your steaks and time with the kids.

I'd like to see a little more but not so much there's more fat than red meat 🥩. We went years without killing a beef but a couple of years ago we decided we would go back to putting one in the freezer .

From what I can tell from a picture it looks like it will be tender. Fat is flavor and looks like it will be an excellent steak. I think I would like a little more fat cap on it but that's a personal preference.

Kids are coming over tonight and I promised them I would pull some steaks out of the freezer. This is not a new slaughter but one from about a year ago. What are your thoughts on this marbling and should I grain the next one a little longer?View attachment 44133
It will look and taste just fine when put on a plate.

I prefer mine pan fried. NO marinade. That's a great way to ruin a steak. Heavy garlic powder, heavy pepper, and heavy salt on a chilled cut... then into a very hot pan with some good cooking oil. Sear that *itch for about two and a half minutes per side and let if rest long enough to dress up a baked potato to go with it. Time depends on thickness of course, and it's important to start with chilled meat. You can put some mushrooms in the pan and cook them with it if you want another side, or do some fresh asparagus lightly in butter in another pan. NO sauces or any other garbage like that. The only complaints I've ever had were people that wanted theirs well done. If they insisted they ate somewhere else. Most people don't sear their steaks and that's a mistake. Or maybe it's more properly a mis-steak.

Grills are good too, but harder to get the heat right. In the woods over an open fire I still use a cast iron pan.

I agree on the cast iron. Best way to get a good sear on a steak.

I'm in the "a little more marbling won't hurt " camp but tenderness is the biggest kicker for me. Kind of like green grass, tenderness cures a lot of ills.

Latest posts