Thoughts on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

circlew

Reaction score
A couple months ago I bought 5 long horn pairs and red angus bull. I just want some thoughts on the bull. The calves where the best lh x calves, other than char, that I've ever seen. They were long, deep and think. So tell me your thoughts because I'm still learning how to judge.
100_0652.jpg

100_0651.jpg

100_0650.jpg

100_0646.jpg

I'm just going to throw this out there. Poorly positioned pictures usually result in poor feedback.

With that said, the bull appears to have a lot of capacity. I think if you take a look at the longhorn cows in the pictures, they are a little poor, even for longhorn. Using that thought, I think you would be in error for thinking a red angus bull can survive, much less flourish in conditions where even longhorns are struggling... I'm actually surprised he looks as well as he does.

Maybe some pictures with the bull holding his head up would give a different first impression... :)

I agree about the photos. I will try to get better ones tomorrow. The cows just had calves pull off of them and the pictures don't do them justice.

Looks like he has grassbelly, also from the pics weak in the back end . How old and how much would help explain his look...

I don't know his age. The folks I bought the group from didn't know much about him. I'm just interested to know if my eyes are getting any better.

I think you can get better as a stop gap he's useable. Pics are hard to judge does he move well? I would get him aged

Firstly all the cattle in the pics are thin, what is saving this bull is his capacity. He has a reasonably set of legs and feet, could do with a touch more bone and a touch more length of hip. There is reasonable muscled shape looking at his fore-arms and jump muscle and the length of muscle on the gaskins. He could have had a better shape to his fore rib and slightly tidier shoulders.

His two biggest faults is his lazy prepuce and the fact that he doesn't carry the muscle over his top all the way to his shoulders.

Thanks for the comments. I'm stilling learning about judging. I wasn't planning on using him anymore, the five cows are bred and I haven't had a chance to catch him and sell him. The cows are in better shape than these pictures show them.

This is the only picture she took of the cows.
100_0641.jpg

He will add alot of capacity and that's probably the hardest thing to improve on a longhorn besides color. If you go back over the daughters with some real muscle you might get some really good calves.

Latest posts