This morning

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree because I never quite understood what the dividing line between feeding and hunting is. They frown on you baiting for Dove which is a small moving elusive target but not deer where the bait lure's them in close so the "hunter" can take a easy shot at a large unmoving object. Wouldn't it make more sense to feed that expensive corn to a steer and just shoot it when its harvest time? I mean its not that difficult to find a steer with a tall rack. You could even tell your drinking buddy's you shot a nice two point with long tines that scored 184 on the Goodnight Chisum scale. Heck the wife would even be happy that you brought home meat that everyone likes and would save you some money that otherwise goes to WalMart.

Maybe one day I'll figure it out. If not I'll ask one of those dudes that wears full camo including face paint but "hunts" from a box blind 60 yards from his feeder with a gun and scope that Chris Kyle would be proud of.

I agree never been a bait pile hunter or a road runner ( they are bad about that here). Beef is as good or better eating and couldn't bring myself to brag on the monster that had his head stuck in the honey jar like Whinnie the Pooh.

And if you don't feed them, they'll still come. Dang near on the front porch. That said, Mr TC does have a feeder with corn for "real" hunting near his blind.
View attachment 22177
Used to drive out to MO to hunt with my uncle. 900 mi. drive , freeze my tail off and sometimes wouldn't see one or at least no bucks. Would never fail at some point during my hunt my wife would send me a pic. of a nice buck right in the yard somewhere middle of the day just hanging out. 😂

I hesitate to ask but, jack lighting and hounds too?
We used dogs up until the 90's in ten East Texas counties .
Paper companies finally lobbied enough money into Austin to outlaw them.
They couldn't lease the land to city hunters for ten dollars an acre when they couldn't control us hillbillies.
We used bird dog hound cross, when you heard one open you better have the slack out of the trigger.
Run about 400 yards come right back and jump another one. It would separate the real shooters from the boys.B5C62507-7232-4955-A578-FE745959C333.jpeg
That's what a load of double aught out a 16 gauge looks like at 50 yards.
I still routinely hunt with a shotgun in this thicket.

I agree never been a bait pile hunter or a road runner ( they are bad about that here). Beef is as good or better eating and couldn't bring myself to brag on the monster that had his head stuck in the honey jar like Whinnie the Pooh.
Usually those that throw rocks are the first to break a window.

I wasn't baiting. This apple stealing SOB was in my yard eating apples the day before season two years ago. The next day I shot him for being an apple thief and because a 3 year old Mule deer with a 5 inch spread needs to be removed from the gene pool. First picture was taken out a window in the living room.PA012150.JPGthumbnail_IMG_2995.jpg

I wasn't baiting. This apple stealing SOB was in my yard eating apples the day before season two years ago. The next day I shot him for being an apple thief and because a 3 year old Mule deer with a 5 inch spread needs to be removed from the gene pool. First picture was taken out a window in the living room.View attachment 22179View attachment 22180
This dude aged out at 8 by the biologist. He caught a load of double aught in a thicket I was hunting. Doe got him trouble.
That's old for this part of the world.063E47AF-1423-48FB-8310-ECB8A349035D.jpeg

I don't deer hunt, not because I don't like it but I just don't have the time. I do get a kick out of folks that put out several tons of corn, sit 200 yards away in a deer blind with a high powered rifle and brag when they bag a buck but hate high fenced ranches and guided hunts. 🤣🤣

Hopefully before long I'll find the time to start hunting again. If one of you guys want to show a really impressive deer pic show me a big buck sitting on the couch drinkin a Bud watching the Cowboys game. These pics of deer eating out of a feeder in their natural habitat are cool and all but.........

Not throwing rocks, if it suits you have at it but it ain't my idea of hunting.
I don't deer hunt, not because I don't like it but I just don't have the time. I do get a kick out of folks that put out several tons of corn, sit 200 yards away in a deer blind with a high powered rifle and brag when they bag a buck but hate high fenced ranches and guided hunts. 🤣🤣

Hopefully before long I'll find the time to start hunting again. If one of you guys want to show a really impressive deer pic show me a big buck sitting on the couch drinkin a Bud watching the Cowboys game. These pics of deer eating out of a feeder in their natural habitat are cool and all but.........
I knew there was something wrong with you.
Cowboys fan says it all. If I am not toting a shotgun bow is my preferred hunting .
Had to go to a geriatric bow.
9E499BC6-00EE-4CE7-8C8E-24BC86E78B12.jpeg

Everyone is shooting nice bucks. Our season closed last Wednesday (Oct1-12). I saw a spike yesterday. I know what my problem was. A few days before season I found a fresh lion killed deer 150 yards from the house. The deer all left my neighborhood to get away from the cat. I had a landowner preference tag which means I was only allowed to hunt on my own property. The cat must have left because the does are starting to show up again. A couple weeks when the rut starts I will have nice bucks running all over the place and season will be long since done.
I can't post a picture of a buck watching a Cowboys game or any other team. But I do have lots of pictures of nice bucks in my yard. None of the real wall hangers. Those kind stay away from the house and out of camera range. I do have the occasional 30 inch wide one show up out in the field or on the hill just up behind the house.

Latest posts