Thawing device for semen

Help Support CattleToday:

Katpau

Reaction score
I have always hired out the actual AI breeding, so I had never considered the need for a thawing device. We do the set-up and the guy with the arm arrives at the predetermined time to breed the cows. They have always provided the thaw unit, but after last year I decided I need to pay more attention to this important part of the process. You may remember that I had posted a thread saying how we did not settle a single cow AI in 2021. I suspected the straws may have been overheated, but since I was oblivious to what was happening in regards to the thaw process, I really can't say for sure. It may have been something else, but we will never know for sure. I decided to take that variable out of the equation by purchasing my own thaw device and making sure that next time I am aware of temperatures.

I was hoping someone on here would recommend a thaw unit. I would also appreciate any pointers and suggestions that could help me know what I should be watching for. I read the bath should be between 90 and 95 degrees. Anything else?

Cito thaw units are most common and are more expensive. They are convenient because Cito hold the water temperature. Still need to double check with a thermometer occasionally. No need to keep adding hot water as you would with a regular Thermos. But a Thermos is cheap.

Yes, Cito is the one. I purchased one online in January from Genex. $154.35 including shipping. Other places were higher or out of stock or both. I just now looked at the genex page and current price 3.5 months later is $181. That comes out to a 60% rate of inflation on a yearly basis. Better buy quick. Looks like some other places are a little cheaper now.

I replaced a very old cito unit. 30+ years old. Had 7 cows synch'd. First 2 in heat, the unit seemed to work ok with the green light coming on to indicate it was at temperature. Next morning, it would not heat. Used a cooler and a thermometer for the rest. Results - 1 out of 7 settled. Pitiful. Usually get 2/3 on first service and the rest on second service. I am blaming the results on the broken thaw unit.

The one that did settle on first service? She was a 2 year old with her first calf. Calf was only 6 weeks old. She would have been the one least expected to settle.

Recommendations. Cito unit with digital indication of temperature. Check occasionally with a temperature strip (comes with the unit). Some people unplug the unit before they drop the straw in. Corrosion (with age) on the heating element (in contact with the water) may result in electrified water which can electrocute the sperm. At least in an AC only older unit. Those had 120 vac heaters in them. The new units are 12 volt dc heaters with a separate 120/12 converter if you use 120 volt. Just an added precaution to take power off when the straw is in the thaw unit.

I have had a Cito unit (12 volt only) for several years. It has always worked well. If you leave it in the vehicle all day with the windows rolled up, it can be too warm for the evening round of A.I. -- always check temps. Leave it plugged in all night in the truck and it is ready to go for the morning round.

I have had a Cito unit (12 volt only) for several years. It has always worked well. If you leave it in the vehicle all day with the windows rolled up, it can be too warm for the evening round of A.I. -- always check temps. Leave it plugged in all night in the truck and it is ready to go for the morning round.
Why do you leave it plugged in all night? The AI guy has always plugged it in when he arrived.

I have a Cito thaw and generally just plug it in right before I need it. When the green light comes on I verify it with a temp strip.

I usually just take it to the breeding pen and it holds temp for about 2 hours.

Does it really need to be so complicated?

My first cow ( 1965 ) was artificially inseminated every year, birthed a calf, and was never inseminated twice to get pregnant. The guy that did the job put the semen in his pocket before inserting it. I mean, it only needs to be over freezing because the cow will warm it the rest of the way.

Why do you leave it plugged in all night? The AI guy has always plugged it in when he arrived.
Well because I usually forget to plug it in before I gather cows up in the morning, so either may wait 30 minutes to warm up (45-50* at night the first week of June) or have to go to the house and get warm water.

Why do you leave it plugged in all night?
Depending on where you live and the time of year, it can freeze at night. If the water freezes in your thaw unit it could expand and break the plastic. It would need to be very cold for it to happen.

Does it really need to be so complicated?

My first cow ( 1965 ) was artificially inseminated every year, birthed a calf, and was never inseminated twice to get pregnant. The guy that did the job put the semen in his pocket before inserting it. I mean, it only needs to be over freezing because the cow will warm it the rest of the way.
Pocket thaw is fine for conventional semen. I do not recommend it for sexed semen. Way back when semen was packaged in 1/2cc straws. Most semen is now packaged in 1/4cc straws. The skinnier straws are more sensitive to temperature changes, but my understanding is pocket thaw is still okay.

Pocket thaw is fine for conventional semen. I do not recommend it for sexed semen. Way back when semen was packaged in 1/2cc straws. Most semen is now packaged in 1/4cc straws. The skinnier straws are more sensitive to temperature changes, but my understanding is pocket thaw is still okay.

I'm not well versed in the use of sexed semen. Is it reliable enough to be worth any additional cost? What are the percentages?

There are other ways to influence gender outcomes besides using sexed semen.

4M gender sorted semen is supposed to settle as good as conventional semen. I have not used much yet, so I don't know personally.

ST Genetics sorted semen technology
2005: original gender sorted semen
2015: sexedultra 2M - 2 million viable sperm cells
2017: sexedultra 4M - 4 million viable sperm cells
2022: Ultraplus - ???

1/4cc straws are much more vulnerable to killing sperm cells with temperature fluctuations.

Can you thaw under your arm or in your pocket? Yes but it has been proven that using a thaw jar gives you the most live sperm cells.

Once you've invested the time to heat check, get the cow up, and drag your AI equipment out I'm not sure why you wouldn't do your best to ensure you are putting as many live sperm cells in the cow as possible.

Always kinda rubs me wrong when people act like doing something half a** makes them smarter. Just because it works a few times doesn't make it the best practice. AI 20 or 30 a year and you will learn a few things.

When we did large groups that were synced we used a small crock pot. It takes longer to get to temp but never got knocked over and was easy to work with. We would prep 3 guns and could work pretty fast.

1/4cc straws are much more vulnerable to killing sperm cells with temperature fluctuations.

Can you thaw under your arm or in your pocket? Yes but it has been proven that using a thaw jar gives you the most live sperm cells.

Once you've invested the time to heat check, get the cow up, and drag your AI equipment out I'm not sure why you wouldn't do your best to ensure you are putting as many live sperm cells in the cow as possible.

Always kinda rubs me wrong when people act like doing something half a** makes them smarter. Just because it works a few times doesn't make it the best practice. AI 20 or 30 a year and you will learn a few things.
Always makes me question when an "advanced tech" works less well and is more expensive than time tested, easier procedures.
But you do you. It's your wallet.

Always makes me question when an "advanced tech" works less well and is more expensive than time tested, easier procedures.
But you do you. It's your wallet.
Just how many cattle have you AI'd out of curiosity

Just how many cattle have you AI'd out of curiosity
I have no idea. I bought my first ranch in '81 and my second in '05, and always kept a core herd on each that was AI, usually synchronized, and only released with a clean-up bull. Very few failures, so the bull didn't have to work very hard. Of course then I was also raising replacement heifers so they also got AI.

Maybe you'd like to to know other things I've tried and how those things panned out? Maybe you can find some way to niggle out something that works in your favor.

How long have you been running cattle, how many states, number of ranches, and what is your success ratio?

Last edited:
I haven't ever left Ky and don't plan to. I average 70-80% on first service on my cattle.

I just don't understand why you want to spew out wrong advice that could cause someone starting out to have problems. When is started out I looked to places such as here for advice.

Our headgate faces West. I bred 3 heifers and they all had bull calves this spring.

Latest posts