Tell Your Story!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Big Cheese

Reaction score
A lot of the topics have quieted down that I normally look and comment on and I'm a little bored so I thought I would start this topic in the meantime. I would like to hear stories about cattle from everyone. You can tell the story about how you got started, what breed you started with, how you handled a situation with cattle that you are proud of, so on and so forth. Any story you would like to share that involve your cattle. I feel like this would be a good read for everyone so feel free to participate.

If you go to the "Breeds Board" section and look at the first couple of stashed threads, you'll find one that says "Idaman"

It is kind of hard to top his input. We should all be thankful that he took the time to share those stories with us. Secondly we should be thankful Macon captured the stories and facilitated his ability to share them with us.

I had my gut full of cows, pigs, chickens, horses when I was a kid. Swore I would never own a cow. Look at me now! But I am not milking a jersey twice a day like I did back in 70's.

I'll start off by telling my story on how I kept my family in the cattle business when we sold out about 5 years ago.
We sold out of the cow business right before the drought in 2010. We sold everything except my one bottle raised heifer that I got when I graduated high school in 2008 from my uncle. I gave her free range in a 150 acre pasture by herself and fed her everyday. She disappeared one day and we found her a week later in the neighbors pasture (she had a calf 9 months later so you should know what she was looking for lol). Well back when we sold out we had 3 calves (2 heifers, 1 bull) get out into another neighbors pasture and we never could catch them so we didn't bother getting them up when we sold out. Finally at the first of June the neighbor caught the bull calf and brought him back to us and bought the 2 heifers from us. The Bull calf weighed over 500 pounds and looked pretty good he was over half Charolais with some beefmaster in him, we called him a Charmaster lol. So I decided and talked my dad into letting me keep him as my bull since I only had one cow and didn't see the reason behind going out and buying an expensive bull when I could use him for the time being. That was the beginning of our new herd of cows. A bottle raised heifer and a mongrel bull that ended up being mean as a snake. We kept adding cows here and adding cows there to where we eventually got up to about 20 cows spread out between 5 people and had us a good black Angus bull on them. Now we are up to over 100 momma cows (mainly Longhorns like most of y'all know) and running 3 Charolais bulls. Our business is doing great. We no longer have the bottle raised heifer or the Charmaster bull but they kept us in the business and kept everyone interested in cattle. So that's my story. I've told it a couple of times on here but not this in depth.

Big Cheese":35suzjjj said:
I see that topic now wish I would have noticed it before its pretty interesting.

As I understand, Idaman has passed on. A wealth of knowledge was lost with him.

I run a char bull too. He's an AI result from Wyoming Wind. He was intended to be an interim bull and I have been so pleased with him, I have retained him. His calves are terminal (mostly) and I have a brangus bull to keep heifers out of.

Bottle babies are no big thing to me. We had them my whole childhood it seems. I was sick of them. But grafting them onto nurse cows (dairy) has merit. Nurse cows are the most profitable venture of my commercial operation. I try to buy beef calves split off of aged cows when I buy calves. I also try to keep my cost around $1 per day per calf. They get billed for all the inputs into the dairy cow.

My dad tells me that all the time. He tells me to learn all I can from the older generations because when they are gone that knowledge and experience is gone with them.

Big Cheese":2mt26a4n said:
I see that topic now wish I would have noticed it before its pretty interesting.
No ifs ands or buts about it. Read that thread..

I'm a simple man and like to keep things simple. When I started with cattle in GA I went to the country agent and asked him what I needed to do, and who were some of the cattlemen that I could talk to. The first fellow I talked to gave me the best advice of my life. Go to the sale barns and ask around what you need for cows and if they know someone that has them or can find them. The first guy I talked to was a jerk and I told him so, when he stood up I set him down. The owner came running over and started talking to me, and John and I are friends still to this day. He set me up with Angus and SimAngus cows and a Simmental bull. I buy, sell and trade cows now and enjoy doing it as a hobby farmer. It was a ruff and rocky road, and I still have plenty to learn. Life's great and black cows sell good, and black calves with white faces sell even better. The number one thing that I've learned is don't buy cut over land, you want to start with pasture or fields.

My dad always had cows but it was always small time. As a small kid he had registered limi's and I was never allowed around them due to disposition problems. He sold them and in my early teens we went to registered red angus. For a while we had a three way partnership with an older gentleman. My dad paid the bills, the older gentleman provided land, and I did all of the work... That worked well until it got to where the older guy would not cull anything with at least one ovary and a tit and tooth. I was working full time to run his cows and mine and my fathers were suffering. At fifteen I sold my cows and told them to figure it out on their own... Within six months they had sold their cows and leased the ground to me. :lol: My dad helped me a little in the summers as I worked the pack stations during the summers but it was my deal, my problem.
At eighteen I went to work for a ranch that ran a couple hundred cows and learned A LOT about range cow management. I spent four years there and ran my own cows on the side and taught myself how to AI so that I could breed my own cows.
As tends to be the case here in central CA, when the semen companies found out that there was a young guy that knew how to breed, I found myself working on dairies on the weekends as a relief breeder and before long I was doing that full time(and still am).
With my own cattle I bought a set of registered angus and a few chars(some of which are still with me) and kept them down here in the valley for a few years but I decided I wanted to get back into real cowboy work so I started leasing ground in the hills and bought a place a few years ago and am now back to running commercial cows in the hills and don't care to ever have another registered cow on the place.
I farm some as well, but cattle have always been my passion.

My father ran several cow calf pairs the whole time I was growing up. He's 75 now, and still maintains a pretty good size herd. I just always loved it. My older brother did to. We were given a heifer, probably by age 4 or 5. We were allowed to build our herd anyway we saw fit. The first one was free, the next had to be bought or kept back. We worked off our hay bill, in the tobacco patch. I never liked it like I did cattle. It did build a lot of character, and encouraged me to get an education.

My family is wired different then most. At 18, you got your walking papers as daddy called it. My older brother went out on his own at 18, and I followed a few years later. I honestly don't think someone could do that now, but it was doable then. I bought a place that had been in the family a good many years. It had gotten fairly rough. Hadn't even been clipped over in 10-12 years. Took a long time to get it straightened back out.

I always enjoyed cattle, but I had a softer spot for horses. Ran both from 89-05 or 06. Rode a lot of outside horses when I was younger. Raised more saddle mules than anything else. Lots of years during that time I sold more dollars worth of started colts and finished mules than I did cattle. My kids came along, and I needed to stay home more, so I just about phased out of equines.

A tornado came through in 06, and leveled my place. I've posted about it before. What I saved wouldn't fill the floor board of a truck. Lost every structure on the place, and 90% of my fences. I didn't take it hard, me and my family were home when it hit. The fact nobody was killed put an entirely new perspective on life. Nothing in this world can compare to your family. It's the only thing any of us really have.

Spent 18 months, building a house. 2 more years putting some of my buildings back up. Didn't keep any heifers during that time. My herd got smaller and older with attrition. I made my kids priority one, and still try to focus on them. My son loves cattle, and will work at whatever the task is. I started focusing on herd quality, 3 or 4 years ago. My son, he's 10, but welcome to build his herd anyway he sees fit. He kept back 3 heifers this fall, and backgrounded several thru the year. He has started trying to raise a little bucking stock. He only has one cow bred that way, but he bought it with his money. I personally think the enterprise won't go far, but who am I to kill a dream.

I actually will retire in about 5 years. I'd like to double my herd by then. Id also like to flip to all of my cows having a little ear on them. Longest post I ever made. Doubt anybody takes the time to read it.

Great post and great story! If your wanting to get some ear in your herd I would get a Beefmaster or Brangus bull. Those retained heifers would be good uns!

When we first got our little place in the country, hubby wanted some cattle. But those were not good times in the cattle business. And I had worked with breed associations and individual breeders through my job, I'd seen a lot of people who had been in the cattle business for years and knew what they were doing, go toes up. So what chance did we have? So my old horses had the place to themselves for awhile.

Fast forward a few years, I'm in Denver working at the NWSS. Helping sell raffle tickets for a donated heifer, purebred Tarentaise. My hook line was, "$5 could get you in the cattle business!" I had bought a few tickets personally, too, just to help out the association. Lo and behold, one of my tickets won! It was in my grand-daughters name. I got some good offers for that heifer right on the spot. She had won her class and her division, was in consideration for Grand and Reserve but wasn't called for either of those. [Yearlings seldom are.] I had a little confab with my boss - anybody gonna accuse me of "conflict of interest" if I keep her? He didn't think so. Called home and woke up the old man. Here's the deal - I can sell her right now and bring home some cash, or I can try to get her a ride to Missouri. He said, look for a ride.

So we got her home, got her bred, we bought another heifer, and we were started. When we make a sale, the grand-daughter gets college money. And we've gotten quite an education out of the enterprise, too.

cow pollinater":2aexrobd said:
Bigfoot":2aexrobd said:
Doubt anybody takes the time to read it.
I did. I enjoyed it to.

I don't understand the "walking papers" part. I was free labor. They would have kept me full time for as long as they could have. I split all own my own as fast as possible.

My parents bought our place when I was 12, we were TOTALLY greenhorns, we got the cattle a year and a half later.. a dozen Herf X bred heifers and 4 weaned heifers.. What followed was a trainwreck of magnificent proportions, Lost 3 calves at calving, and 2 cows, later that summer we lost another, and a couple more in the next couple years, not counting the ones that didn't get bred or were mean beasts.
I don't know how heavy the bred heifers were, but the weaned calves were 400 lb TOPS, so I figure the breds were 800 lbs, and to us they looked HUGE.

Talk about a steep learning curve!
We've had many breeds of bulls, Starting with a RA, then Saler, 2 shorthorns, a Gelbvieh was bought sight unseen when the second SH failed us, and turned out to be the best bull we've had yet.. Now we have a Limo, and the jury is deliberating now, His first calves should drop within a month, maybe I'll get one in a couple weeks even.
I think we've come a long way from the trainwrecks we bought, we certainly have less problematic animals, Most of the udders are now perfect for a beef cow, I trim hooves once every couple years, some cows never, the calves are more muscled and uniform, and best part is most of the cows are now halterbroke, which makes handling them so much easier.. When I vaccinate I just walk behind them while they're eating, and it's done before they know it.
We also grew about 150,000 lbs of veggies a year (they paid the bills, not the cows), markets for that fell through, we downsized, I found work in the big town for about 10 years, came back 6 years ago, and have increased the herd from 18 cows when I came to 27, which is more than we've ever had... I'm pushing the capacity of our place, and running about a cow to every 2 acres, perhaps even a little more, and I'm still selling some hay.

backhoeboogie":1p2awslb said:
cow pollinater":1p2awslb said:
Bigfoot":1p2awslb said:
Doubt anybody takes the time to read it.
I did. I enjoyed it to.

I don't understand the "walking papers" part. I was free labor. They would have kept me full time for as long as they could have. I split all own my own as fast as possible.

Me too, and there wasn't any cattle involved either.
One parent had to quit work before I left home, to do what I'd been doing.

Latest posts