T-post one, me zero

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
Well it was a trip to the ER for some stitches. Stitches in the thumb and glue on the finger. It happened about 1:30 This afternoon, but didn't decide to go to the ER until 4:30. The nurse at the ER couldn't believe that I took a nap before going in. I lifted the post pounder a bit to high and missed the post. It smarts just a bit. It is still oozing a little blood, but it's a long was from my heart. I guess I am going to have to live. I'm going to have to be careful for a few days so I don't break it open again.
20240510_170625.jpg

20240510_170631.jpg

It was a short post to start with, I should have used the sledge hammer. I wanted the post behind pipe elbow so the water would not push it off. I had 10' piece of pipe to install and one more elbow, well that didn't happen.

Ouch ! I've had some major mishaps but never with my t post driver . I'll be extra careful .
Very, very few people have a clue why the top of T posts are painted white and the rest green. The white is a "warning strip" that, when using a post pounder, that you are near the top of the post and don't lift the pounder any higher.
I have done very little actual fence building myself, but have likely planned over 100 miles of fence in over 300 plans I have helped producers develop and have known more than a few professional fence builders. I have a lot of respect for them as proper fence building involves a bit more than sticking a few posts in the ground and stringing some wire. More than one of these individuals I've known have told me of stories where colleges of theirs have removed whole appendages by lifting post drivers a bit too high. One story I was told was of a case where a professional lost his thumb doing this about 4.5 hours from nowhere and just kept on working that day. He continued with his profession even after that I'm told. OI have wondered how well he was able to use a post pounder after that.

I made it through the night without it bleeding to much but broke it open buttoning my jeans this morning. Changed the dressing and then went to feed. It don't look like I will be doing a whole lot the next few days. The thumb and finger is cut open kind of in a bad spot. As dad likes to say, it's a long way from my heart.

Note to self: when driving a broke off T-post use the sledge hammer stupid.

Very, very few people have a clue why the top of T posts are painted white and the rest green. The white is a "warning strip" that, when using a post pounder, that you are near the top of the post and don't lift the pounder any higher.
I have done very little actual fence building myself, but have likely planned over 100 miles of fence in over 300 plans I have helped producers develop and have known more than a few professional fence builders. I have a lot of respect for them as proper fence building involves a bit more than sticking a few posts in the ground and stringing some wire. More than one of these individuals I've known have told me of stories where colleges of theirs have removed whole appendages by lifting post drivers a bit too high. One story I was told was of a case where a professional lost his thumb doing this about 4.5 hours from nowhere and just kept on working that day. He continued with his profession even after that I'm told. OI have wondered how well he was able to use a post pounder after that.
Reminds me of a dad/grandpa story. They trucked for everyone in the country. Went to haul corn for old man Brown back in the old days. Motor was weak on the auger, so Brown gave it a spin to get it started, but caught his finger between the belt and pulley. Grandpa helped him take his glove off, the finger was attached by meat and tendons only. Grandpa said we'll take you to town to get you fixed up, Brown's reply was no. Grandpa said "well give me your knife." Old Man Brown digs it out and hands it to grandpa, the holds the finger with his good hand as grandpa cut it the rest of the way off. Brown said that's that, threw the finger in the weeds. Walks to the house, comes back in 5-10 and goes right back to work.

It will feel better if you soak it in sider
I'm not sure about soaking in it, but if you drink enough of it, you might be able to forget about the pain for awhile.
Hard... cider.

If there's any left after using it as a pain killer internally.
I was typing the reply above when your reply popped up @Travlr .

Latest posts