Summer weather predictions

Help Support CattleToday:

The rain we got when I post 10 days ago... turned into just .6 inches and .1 inch on the following Mon night. Several places 20-50 miles north got 2-5 inches... we have had 2 quick sprinkles of less than a tenth the last 2 days... It is sooler, but the wind is still blowing. We are on the northern fringe of the "abnormally dry " area, now...

We got 1-1.5" today out of a big cell. It came fast enough to get a little run off to the tanks which is always welcome.

Like any good farmer or rancher I went driving as the cell was coming to see the rain. 😄 I sat at one barn for a little bit and then eased around a loop to check what a couple other places got. I'm cruising along real easy on the packed dirt road and turn to go down another one. I never have any issues just putting around in 4wd. It hadn't had to soak in yet.

I hit a dirt spot and start spinning. Apparently my truck didn't go in to 4wd. I had been just getting luck putting around. Its black, kind of clay like mud, slick as baby poo. I feather on it forward and back and try to get my 4wd in and nada.

There is nothing I hate more than covering a truck in black mud. I have 4wd and my mud tires for sand and a little mud here and there. 99% of the time I just put it in 4lo and walk out of it. I ended up having to lay in to it in reverse then back forward a couple times. Once I got through a couple inches of the messy stuff on top I could move. I made a mess but got out. I had a long hill to get back up but I got in the grass and took a good run at it.

I felt like a dang rooky. 😆 We have been dry so long I already forgot how to act. I went straight to the car wash.

A couple neighbors and I have a saying. Clean cars are over rated. Our road is either mud or dust. Not enough mud to get stuck but sure enough to make the pickup a mess every time I go out the driveway. There are some roads around here that you just don't go on if it has rained.
I should have said there are three options. Mud, dust, or snow/ice. I prefer dust.

Sister back in E Texas (San Jacinto County) just told me she got 4" of rain in the last hour. We got a little more than that here in Central Texas in the last 6 hours. Hopefully it's done here but not looking good for E Texas....again.

morainmay16.jpg

We've had just enough to keep us out of the field since Monday. April was pretty dry but just a little too wet and cold to plant. Pastures are finally looking good. It seems fescue prefers an excess of moisture in the early spring, which we didn't have.

Catalpa trees are in full bloom, which came 2-3 weeks earlier this year. They are one of if not the last thing to bloom out, so summer weather is closing in soon. We didn't have a blackberry winter this time, so it's been an odd spring so far.

Latest posts