Subjective Breed of Choice

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":20ifi0v1 said:
We'd still be raising Angus. When we bought our first Angus bull, black was not beautiful. Red Limousin and spotted Simmental were the bulls you saw working in pastures around here, mostly Limousin. We bought him to use on a mixed bag of heifers because of the Angus reputation for calving ease and meat quality. And we could get a bull with a BW EPD. I enjoy and appreciate a new Hereford calf as much as anyone, but I love those little black ones, too. When they grow up, black cattle make my heart and checkbook happy.

My wife doesn't think there is any prettier sight than black cows on dark green pastures.

I really can't say that I prefer one breed over another OVERALL.

There's good and bad in most any breed.

I'll be seeing some Aubrac X Char calves hit the ground this coming winter. The jury is still out till then on those... :shock:

I sure do like what a good Char bull does on a crossbred mama cow though................

It would be a toss up for me which is prettier, herefords or belted galloways. I do like to see a field full of cattle that look alike, no matter what the breed.

dyates":3kvjdc1x said:
It would be a toss up for me which is prettier, herefords or belted galloways. I do like to see a field full of cattle that look alike, no matter what the breed.
nothing prettier than a new born hereford calf ;-)

Jogeephus":1jpkve5f said:
Frankie":1jpkve5f said:
We'd still be raising Angus. When we bought our first Angus bull, black was not beautiful. Red Limousin and spotted Simmental were the bulls you saw working in pastures around here, mostly Limousin. We bought him to use on a mixed bag of heifers because of the Angus reputation for calving ease and meat quality. And we could get a bull with a BW EPD. I enjoy and appreciate a new Hereford calf as much as anyone, but I love those little black ones, too. When they grow up, black cattle make my heart and checkbook happy.

My wife doesn't think there is any prettier sight than black cows on dark green pastures.

I think she's right. :)

I'll just stick with my black brangus. Big, strong, good hustlers, good milkers, easy calving and great mamas. And those black calves are beautiful out in the green grass. Especially if they have that brangus ear. But all well cared for cattle are pretty, no matter the setting.

I like the American breeds (Brangus, Braford, Santa Gertrudis, Beefmaster), especially the individuals that exhibit a lot of Brahman traits like loose hide and pendulous ears.

Belties are pretty on any color pasture and there isn't any breed easier to spot regardless of background, summer or winter, drought or snow, green or brown, day or night. It would be hard for a blind man to lose one.

I raise a breed called swedish red and white. They are a dairy breed with good fleshing and beautiful horns. They have been bred for conformation as long as anyone can remember, a beefy ayrshire with more milk and better health. As I was kicked out of milk business I kept some as mother cow and breed them to lim and blonde dacuitaine and I will use piedmontese this year. The first of my calves as beef producer were fullblood SRB, their birthweigts averaged 56 pounds and weaning weight was 612 pounds. they were seven bulls and one heifer; this was out of six cows that all ranged from 900 to 1080 pounds. I know that postweaning growth will be less but weaning weight and daily gain beats all other breeds. And they are beautiful on pasture with ther nonconform coat color.

I sure do like my beefmasters. They work for me. Aside from the function issues that work in my environment, I love the fact that I can tell them apart from each other.

When I was a kid, I had a plastic toy hereford that I thought was the best looking bull that there ever was. I still like the look of a good Hereford.

Again, as a kid, my kinfolks had a beatiful herd of Charlois that they ran on the pasture across the road from us. The pasture dropped down in the middle to small creek and then rose high on the side opposite from our house. I used to love the look of those white cattle on that pretty green grass across the road.

And I will grant you this, a good looking herd of uniform black cattle is pleasing to the eye.

And I love the look of those floppy eared brimmers. Reminds me of a couple of the old momma cows that my Papaw had in his mixed breed herd.

I guess I just haven't been at this long enough to develop a strong prejudice against any breeds. I just like cattle.

I really like the looks of the diamond jubilee.They are a very striking red thats so purty against dark green hillside pastures.Another breed I like is the speckle park.I just have to be different

Where to begin....

first I love Red Angus, Red Limousin, And Hereford.

I'm also partial to Red Poll, Shorthorn, and Belted Galloway. My college has a herd of Beltie's and they're very attractive.

Personally I love to see a field full of NOT BLACK cows. Around here, I just smile when I pass a herd of Limousin, or Hereford cows. It's even more remarkable to see a Bull that is not black or white(we have a few breeders that cross with Charolais.)

Swedish Reds are beautiful dairy cows, and there is one herd of Guernsey's around here.

It's too bad we have morons who think that black is better just because it is black. I'm not saying anything against Angus or any black breed. I like Angus. It's the fact that popularity has driven the market to black cows to the point that other breeds(Limousin, Simmental, Gelbvieh) have left their traditional roots to become a "black" herd just so those breeders do not suffer the low prices asociated with red, RWF, spotted, yellow, etc.

Brandon you mean you would sacrifice profits to have the color cow you prefer knowing that is not what the market wants?

Latest posts