Strong Yearling Market

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Pots of 8 and 9 weight heifers off grass were U$S 187 this week. These feeders were about $150 as 7 wts. this spring.

Light test this week for 5 and 6 wt. heifers were about the same $/lb as 8 wts. this week, and 5 wt steers were $2.

Last edited:
When the grain futures stumbled in July/August the big players locked in feed costs on the board. Fed cattle futures are strong. These guys will spend all the profit right out of these yearlings, break even, and live to feed another turn. Their making their money up on volume. If they can feed 10,000 hd a year and CLEAR $10/hd that's $100,000 for the year in their pocket.

Have a neighbor that used to feed a lot of pigs. They rented buildings in three states. He told me their goal was to clear $1 per pig and feed one million pigs a year.

No surprise here... People selling off their herds earlier due to drought, cows going to slaughter, and now they have rain and are looking to replace them as soon as possible with young animals that can be bred. We'll probably see a lot of fall calves next year.

Pasture bred 7 and 8 wts. were going for about $50 to $100 less than open feeder heifers. They used to be discounted a lot more. Fall cow sales could get wild with $2 calves and $75 per ton cow hay...

How far along can they be bred and still have consistent success with Lute + Dex ?

Last edited:
Is anyone expecting an October slump on calf prices? I'm culling cows hard and am looking to buy 4 weights then. Traditionally we see a slump then as the spring calves hit the market.

It looks like I'll be making good money on my stocker group going to sale next weekend. I'll gain pounds and price both it looks like unless the bottom falls out next week.

When the grain futures stumbled in July/August the big players locked in feed costs on the board. Fed cattle futures are strong. These guys will spend all the profit right out of these yearlings, break even, and live to feed another turn. Their making their money up on volume. If they can feed 10,000 hd a year and CLEAR $10/hd that's $100,000 for the year in their pocket.

Have a neighbor that used to feed a lot of pigs. They rented buildings in three states. He told me their goal was to clear $1 per pig and feed one million pigs a year.
Sounds like Maschoffs.

Is anyone expecting an October slump on calf prices? I'm culling cows hard and am looking to buy 4 weights then. Traditionally we see a slump then as the spring calves hit the market.

It looks like I'll be making good money on my stocker group going to sale next weekend. I'll gain pounds and price both it looks like unless the bottom falls out next week.
It may not be as bad as normal but every year there is an October slump

283 days. Dex will knock a calf out at any stage of gestation. I've used it to induce fat hfrs that had live calves that we ended up letting them raise.
Some of the pasture breds being bought by feedlot guys were 7 to 800# and 4 to 6 months bred...
Are they expecting them to deliver, or are they have someone on standby for a C section?

Not Maschoffs, Nelsons. They don't directly own any sows. Belonged to a sow co-op in MO.
I never thought about it, Maschoffs are kinda in your neck of the woods?
I'm an hour and 45 minutes from their headquarters in Carlyle. I'll pass through there on the way to the Greenville barn.

I have a good friend in my county who leases to Maschoffs.

Some of the pasture breds being bought by feedlot guys were 7 to 800# and 4 to 6 months bred...
Are they expecting them to deliver, or are they have someone on standby for a C section?
4-6mos the fetus isn't much bigger than a house cat. I wouldn't Dex them and turn them out with out keeping an eye on them, but they should spit them right out.

If you clear $1 per pig you are. The pigs helped leverage them into a position to acquire several thousand acres of farm land. Paid for.
Back in the seventies and eighties that was the way to do it. Land was bought to grow corn to feed hogs. Back then pre ethanol the saying was a bushel of corn ain't with nothing until it falls out of a hogs ass.

Back in the seventies and eighties that was the way to do it. Land was bought to grow corn to feed hogs. Back then pre ethanol the saying was a bushel of corn ain't with nothing until it falls out of a hogs ass.
They didn't call them mortgage lifters for no reason. Lots of farms around here were bought or lost feeding cattle and hogs. I think more were lost feeding cattle though.

They didn't call them mortgage lifters for no reason. Lots of farms around here were bought or lost feeding cattle and hogs. I think more were lost feeding cattle though.
That must have been before this forum. Every one gets rich on cattle on here.

That must have been before this forum. Every one gets rich on cattle on here.
It was. Hogs made a good living back then. Buy gilts throw a boar in and 114 days later you got a litter of 7-10. 5-6 months later you're selling fat hogs or even shorter 2 months later selling feeder pigs. Two litters a year. Fast return on money.

Latest posts