Strange calving issue

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
A cow bagged up about 3 months ago. Was even dripping milk. Started drying off. I couldn't tell she had slipped it or retained it. She is bagging back up. Has been for a few days. This morning she was passing slime. Didn't look pleasant, but could have been hanging a little while. What's yaws take on that?

my first thought is that she had twins and aborted one early. I had a cow that had twins about three days apart, but they were both alive and healthy. not sure how far apart a cow can deliver a twin and not the second. Will be interested in update when you find out what is going on.

not sure how far apart a cow can deliver a twin and not the second.
Eons ago I had a cow calve a set of twins a full week apart. Both viable. Vet didn't believe the time frame was possible let alone the laggard survived. Did some research & while exceedingly rare the such a time lapse can occur.

Eons ago I had a cow calve a set of twins a full week apart. Both viable. Vet didn't believe the time frame was possible let alone the laggard survived. Did some research & while exceedingly rare the such a time lapse can occur.
More than 40 years ago, had a polled hereford cow calve and then had another one between 2 and 3 weeks later. Both healthy. Would never have believed that was possible. Research back then was the encyclopedia and ask a friend. No internet for serious research. Assume that each would have had to have their own placenta and attachment point. Don't know if they were from the same breeding cycle or if the cow was in heat with the next cycle and bred a second time if that is possible. Twins were very rare with the polled herefords we had at that time. More common with the simme influenced cows today. But all the rest have been at the same time.

Curiosity got the best of me. I was taking some bulls in for a sperm evaluation and I took that cow when I went. She palpated 6 months bred he couldn't tell if it was alive or dead but it wasn't mummified. So this will go down as one of those strange things I've never seen before. I'm not expecting a live calf sounds like too much of a hormone ride for that to be possible.

Murphy's law...just when you think you've seen it all a head scratching oddity pops up.

Don't know if they were from the same breeding cycle or if the cow was in heat with the next cycle and bred a second time if that is possible.

Based on the time lapse I'd be inclined to think she got bred again in the subsequent cycle. Used Polled Hereford bulls in your era and also and never had twins (that I knew of). FWIW in my long term experience with beef cattle, twins occur more frequently than the data suggests.

Slightly disappointed I didn't get conformation of a live calf. I'm about to start gathering my cull cows. Now, I just proceed with a wait and see approach (which is what I was doing before, without the expense of a vet check)

Pine needles? Is it a certain type? Our cows live in pines most of the time and although i've had a handful of stillborn over the past 30 years, most were deformed.
One time we had a dog start showing she was about to deliver a large amount of puppies. The dog was abandoned on the highway. I passed by her every day. People put out scraps for her to eat. I got tired of seeing her sitting there and picked her up. She was blind and almost deaf, had one nonworking gimpy back leg and a broken shoulder. I nursed her back to health and noticed she was pregnant and probably the reason she was dumped. I had to put her in a pen with a bottle calf because being blind, our mule was determined to kill her. One day she started acting weird. I had her in the yard and she'd walk around howling. Long story short, she was rabid, skunk got in the pen with her and the calf... Anyhoot, we took her to the vet to see if they thought she was rabid but she was also so big around, teats dripping milk, back end swollen. By the time we got her to the vet, she was dead. I hoped for a festering mass of dead pups for the reason she died, she was burning up. I did not want it to be rabies. The vet, out of curiosity, cut her open to see if it was infection. He found not one single pup.. uterus was normal and empty.. when it comes to reproductive stuff, weird things happen...

Beats what I came home to on Tuesday, I'm certain the dumbass ate pine needles.. I'm declaring war on pine trees!

View attachment 230
Pine needles? Is it a certain type? Our cows live in pines most of the time and although i've had a handful of stillborn over the past 30 years, most were deformed.
One time we had a dog start showing she was about to deliver a large amount of puppies. The dog was abandoned on the highway. I passed by her every day. People put out scraps for her to eat. I got tired of seeing her sitting there and picked her up. She was blind and almost deaf, had one nonworking gimpy back leg and a broken shoulder. I nursed her back to health and noticed she was pregnant and probably the reason she was dumped. I had to put her in a pen with a bottle calf because being blind, our mule was determined to kill her. One day she started acting weird. I had her in the yard and she'd walk around howling. Long story short, she was rabid, skunk got in the pen with her and the calf... Anyhoot, we took her to the vet to see if they thought she was rabid but she was also so big around, teats dripping milk, back end swollen. By the time we got her to the vet, she was dead. I hoped for a festering mass of dead pups for the reason she died, she was burning up. I did not want it to be rabies. The vet, out of curiosity, cut her open to see if it was infection. He found not one single pup.. uterus was normal and empty.. when it comes to reproductive stuff, weird things happen...
Ponderosa pines are bad.. I don't think jackpines and many other varieties are bad

Has anybody heard of an issue like this? Never in my life have I had a cow bag up twice.

Yes sir.
That's what got me excited about my tan cow here at home.
Shes dried off now. Pregged at 4 months Saturday. Mine obviously lost a calf.

Is it possible someones calf has been nursing her?

Last edited:
I had a cow years ago that had a full term calf, and had a second full term calf 6 weeks later. They weren't big, but both were full term and lived. The cows are with a bull all the time, so I'm guessing she got bred, and came in heat 6 weeks later and got bred again.

Yes sir.
That's what got me excited about my tan cow here at home.
Shes dried off now. Pregged at 4 months Saturday. Mine obviously lost a calf.

Is it possible someones calf has been nursing her?
Possible, but I've never observed it, and been observing her closely for a while.

My wife's uncle had a mare one time that he overfed drastically that got so fat that she started giving milk, he'd not had her a long time so he assumed she was bred so when she never foaled he had the vet check her and no pregnancy. I later got the mare from him because she had foundered and he was still laying the feed to her so I talked him into letting me get her and get her back in shape, anyway I had her in with some cows and she would steal their calves from them and try to mother them.

Latest posts