Stories of a vet

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
My local vet has many great stories. He also has a knack for retelling them. He post them on facebook occassionally and id like to pass them on to yall as he does. I hope you enjoy them as well as I have.

I never intended to share this story, but after some recent events, I think some folks might benefit from it. Rescue organizations are needed. They serve a great purpose and there are many of these people who do it for all the right reasons. There are also many people who see an animal that is in poor condition and automatically assume that the owner is neglecting or abusing the animal when that is not always the case. If you want to do animal rescue, please do so with an open mind and an open heart for both the animals and the humans involved. Do not immediately start a campaign to crucify the owner of an animal that you deem malnourished before you know the entire situation. When abuse and neglect are truly an issue, then those animals definitely need to be removed and assisted. However, there are times when that is not the case. There are many situations where the owner is doing everything they possibly can to keep their animals healthy and the only way to know that is to know the entire situation. When abuse or neglect is evident, I do not hesitate to state that because it is my job and those animals need help. Sometimes, the owners just need a little advice and assistance that they may or may not have been able to receive.

I had been in practice for approximately 5 years. I had been told by numerous people that a man was deliberately starving two horses in a community about 20 miles away. People told me that he kept the horses fastened in a dry lot and would not feed them at all. People told me that he was a long time animal abuser and said very hateful things about this old man. After hearing this story from multiple people I began to form an opinion about a man I'd never met who owned horses I'd never seen. One day a deputy from another county called me and asked me if I would meet him at the residence I'd heard so much about to examine those horses. I get involved in a lot of these situations and I don't really enjoy that part of my job because my professional assessment can often lead to legal ramifications for the people involved. I pulled up to the residence and it was obviously the home of a very poor person. The home was an old dilapidated trailer with an overgrown yard full of weeds. The fences were shabby and I didn't really see how they could possibly contain an animal that had any desire to escape. From a distance I saw two horses that were in poor body condition. The deputy knocked on the door and a feeble old man came to the door. He was a very pleasant person, but he was obviously in very poor health. We began to ask questions about the horses and asked if I could take a look at them. The old man walked out with us and he whistled to his horses. Both horses immediately picked their heads up and nickered a weak response as they began to make their way toward us. There were two old garbage can lids on the ground inside the fence and the horses walked directly to their respective feeding place. It was obvious that these horses had been fed in these garbage can lids, even thought their body condition would make you think they hadn't eaten in weeks. There was absolutely no grass in the front part of the pasture which was visible from the road, but there was a fair amount of grass in the pasture behind the man's house. The horses did have access to the grass. One of the horses stuck his head over the fence and the old man ran his fingers into the horses mouth and pulled out a big wad of grass that was packed up in the horse's jaw. The horse was missing most of his teeth so chewing his food was a challenge. The old man laughed and said he had to get Charlie's "chaw" out for him every day at feeding time. The horses' feet were adequately kept. Their hair and skin was reasonable. Their manes and tails were meticulously kept free of tangles and debris. There was no evidence of lameness and neither horse had any signs of injury. There was an old barrel outside the fence and the old man reached inside and scooped out some shelled corn for both horses. Then he pulled out a loaf of bread and split it between the two garbage can lids. After a thorough exam, I didn't find anything to suggest that the horses were in pain, but they were incredibly thin. The deputy explained that we were there because the man had been reported for animal abuse and the old man began to cry. He told us that he had been threatened and numerous people had stopped to say terrible things to him regarding his horses. He began to tell us the story of those two horses and his family. There had been three horses up until one year prior when the youngest of the three had to be euthanized. The horse had been in poor condition just like the two who were still there. When the horse became too weak to go any farther, a friend had come over and taken care of the situation for him. As he told us about these horses we learned that they were full siblings that he had raised from birth. The deceased horse had belonged to his wife. One belonged to his son, and one was his personal horse. He asked us to come inside so he could show us some pictures. He showed us multiple albums with photos of a happy family on numerous trail rides with their beautiful horses. He also showed us some pictures of his son and his horse barrel racing at some small community events in another state. He and his family had lived in another state until his son developed substance abuse issues. He and his wife spent all of the money they had accumulated to try and help their son. After they had run out of money, the only thing he knew to do was to move to an area where his son would not know anyone and hopefully would learn to live a healthier life. They bought a small place that was in poor condition because that is all they could afford and their new neighbors were not welcoming because of their appearance. A few months later, his son died due to his substance abuse issues. A short time later his wife was diagnosed with a terminal illness. The two horses in the pasture were all he had left of what had once been a happy and healthy family. He fed his horses daily and he had adequate pasture. The horses were just old. He showed us the registration papers. One horse was 37 years old and the other was 39. He had lived alone with his horses for the past several years and he knew that the horses were in poor condition. He said he had wanted to call me but he couldn't afford to pay me and he didn't really think his horses were sick. He was correct. Those horses weren't sick. They were just old and needed some dietary changes. I talked to him about some dietary changes he could make to try and help the horses gain a little weight and the deputy agreed to come back by in a few days to check on them again. He asked if we were going to take his horses away and I told him that decision was not mine. After the appropriate reports were filed with the authorities, the man retained ownership of his horses. Whenever I knew I'd be in that area, I'd try to make time to stop by and check on them. Two of the times I stopped by and met the deputy as he was leaving. There would be a couple fresh bags of feed in the barrel and the garbage can lids were always licked clean. I knew that deputy was helping this old man buy better feed for his horses and he may have been assisting with regular feeding. The horses never did get fat, but they weren't neglected. When the old man passed away, I got another call. The deputy and I did what needed to be done. I know that deputy will see this and I hope he knows how much I appreciate his compassion for both people and animals. He was a true rescuer of both humans and animals. He approached that situation with an attitude of willingness to help.

Great post Craig. Thanks for sharing.
Most of us have or have had an older cow that might fit the description of those 2 horses.

(for that matter, some of us ourselves might fit that same description)

This reminds me of the time we met our neighbors for the first time. The said "Hi, we're your new neighbors, and our horse isn't abused, it's just really old." I think he died at 34.

On the way home there's a guy that's got a cow by the road. You can see her ribs, and she's in rough shape. However, he's got her by herself and all his other cows look great, but it just takes one idiot to call the sheriff and now he's got a problem on his hands.

My neighbor's grandma, who was about 80 years old, at the time had a real old horse. One day a deputy stopped because he had received complaints about horse abuse. She explained that the horse was real old. The deputy said fine and went on his way. A couple weeks later a different deputy stopped about the horse. The old excused herself, went in the house, and came out with a picture. It was a picture of her, her late husband, and the horse. The picture was about 35 years old. She pointed out how much better the horse looked as a 3 year old. "And by the way you will note I looked a lot better then too". The deputy left and no one bothered her about the horse after that.

That was a great story, nearly brought a tear to my eye. Reminded me of some James Herriot books I read in high school, true stories written by an old country vet. Great books.

Some of our work requires sending documentation to state or federal government agencies. When preparing these documents we have to provide client names and addresses. Obtaining a correct physical address doesn't sound like it would be a monumental task, but sometimes it is. People who use a post office box for their mail often never have a need to recall their street address. Some people have a difficult time remembering their street address. Let me tell you about Paul, a man who wanted to be a good law abiding citizen.

Paul called my cell phone to request a blood test for his horse. As soon as Paul began to speak I knew he was a good ol' country boy because I love those people and recognize their speech/ mannerisms. A few more minutes into the conversation I began to suspect that Paul was quite "mellow" at the time. Paul told me "I need to bring my horse up there for one of them blood tests so I can take 'im to the forest." I told him I could provide that service and would be glad to set up an appointment for him. He wanted to come immediately but I was about to go out on a farm call and would not be at the office to meet him. I told him that I couldn't do it at the time and I explained why. When I mentioned the direction I'd be traveling, Paul informed me that he would just meet me on the side of the road at a community church that I would be driving past. I told him that would be fine and that it would only take a minute to pull blood and fill out the necessary paperwork.

When I arrived at the designated church parking lot Paul was waiting for me. As soon as he got close enough to me, there was no longer any doubt that he was definitely quite "mellow". He was a very nice man with a kind and respectful demeanor. I obtained the blood sample that I needed and then began to ask the questions that are required for the government form. We made it through all of the information with no problem until we got to the address. Paul gave me a post office box address and I told him I needed a physical address. He couldn't remember his physical address but he could tell me how to get to his house. "Just turn on that dirt road right past Willy's place and my place is out there on the left." I asked if he knew any road numbers and he did not. He then replied "you know Willy; everybody knows Willy". I did not know Willy and this seemed to offend Paul slightly because Willy obviously knew me and told Paul to call me. After a 15 minute discussion about why I should know Willy, it occurred to me that I could get Paul's address from his driver's license. I asked him if I could see his license to get his address. He told me "that ain't gonna do you no good because my license is suspended." I asked him if he still had the actual card and he said yes, but it won't do you any good. I told him that I just needed to get his address from his license and once again he began to tell me that he lived on the dirt road just past Willy's place and his license would not be useful because it was suspended. I spent ten more minutes explaining that the government did not change his address or suspend his address when they suspended his license and finally he realized that his address was still the same, regardless of his license status. I obtained his address and as we were about to part ways he told me "I don't want to go over to that forest until I get those papers back so I won't be breaking any laws." I told him I would have his results in a few days and I would mail them to him or he could pick them up at the office. He stressed to me one more time that it was very important for him to get those papers so he wouldn't be breaking the law when he went to the forest with his horse. Then I watched him drive away as I smiled and thought about the situation. He just drove away pulling a trailer with no lights, a suspended driver's license, and under the influence. However, he was determined to be a law abiding citizen. I waited a few minutes then drove down to that dirt road just past Willy's place to be sure he made it home safely and his directions were spot on.

There was a vet that wrote a column in the Hoards Dairyman. Title in a Cloud of Dust. Was a lot of humor in the in his stories.

If you ever get the chance to read Bryson City Tales by Dr. Walt Larimore then do it. It is about the first year of a young doctors work in North Carolina. A friend sent me this book and I loaned it to a friend but never got it back. This young doctor was asked to deliver a calf and to sew up hound dogs that were gored by a wild boar. Keep in mind this is about his experience as a medical doctor. Clash of cultural with the old and the new.

I am continually amazed by the things I learn in a rural veterinary practice. Here are a few pearls of wisdom, as well as some advice on what not to do to your vet.

1. If your horse is 200 lbs underweight, we know that didn't happen in three days.

2. Mineral oil is commonly used to treat colic, not Havoline 10W40

3. If you find your family member and their dog both unresponsive with an empty bottle of medication, get help for your family member first. Do not come sit in the veterinarian's office for an hour then casually mention that a family member is unconscious at home.

4. A single worm in the litter box at 3:00 a.m. is not an emergency.

5. If the veterinarian has just roped a cow from the back of your truck, please let him/her know if you are hearing impaired so they can speak at an appropriate volume before you put the truck in reverse.

6. If you get drunk and shoot your own dog in the middle of the night, please let someone else drive your dog to the vet clinic. If you choose to do this on your own, you might forget where you're going. You also might stop ¼ mile away to ask a police officer for directions. Then the police will bring your dog to the vet for you and we will keep your dog for 6 months waiting for you to get out of jail.

7. If your dog ate your illegal drugs, just tell us that up front. Don't make us guess while you sit and cry. We are not the police.

8. Honesty is not always the best policy. If you are a grown man whose dog has swallowed a piece of body jewelry, please let me continue with my assumption that it is an earring. Remember, I am the one who has to retrieve your jewel.

9. If you send pictures to your vet, remember that all of those photos are forever saved in some place called "the cloud". I only hope the cloud monitor knows my occupation or they will have a very low opinion of me. Some animal's parts look very similar to human parts when you zoom in close enough.

10. If your dog's fleas have taken up residence on your body, it is not necessary to show us the physical evidence. We believe you.

11. If you have a rash, please see your M.D. not your D.V.M.

12. If your dog has never heard the word sit, it will not comprehend that word no matter how loud you choose to speak it in the exam room.

13. If you want to perform rituals at your animal's death that most people would consider uncommon, please tell us before you begin. Some things can still be a bit surprising.

14. Please do not capture your neighbor's animals and present them as your own to be spayed without your neighbor's permission.

15. Please do not feed gunpowder to your horse, cow, dog, cat, goat, sheep, or ferret. If you ignore this advice, do not smoke while force feeding your animal gunpowder.

16. If your proclivities are not a pertinent part of your animal's medical history, you do not have to share this with us.

17. If you keep tiny little animals inside your clothing, please make sure you can retrieve them without assistance.

18. If you routinely feed your dog ice cream, fried chicken, and ham please do not swear to us that it never gets anything other than Science Diet. You will have to pretend to be surprised when we find those bones on our radiographs.

20. If you ask numerous questions about the cost of a procedure, we are happy. That is a good sign that you intend to pay us.

21. If you are a healthy man who obviously works out regularly and you have no physical ailments, please do not tell me that you cannot put your 35 lb dog in the car. We will probably send a girl half your size to do this for you and you will be embarrassed.

22. If your cow is so gentle that you feel sure I can "just walk up and put a rope on her" then please go ahead and do this before I arrive. Also, go ahead and tie the other end of that rope to something bigger than the cow.

23. If your cow has been in labor for a few hours and has not delivered a calf, please call for help. Do not wait three days to see if she will "pass it". It's not a kidney stone.

24. If you have boarded your dog while you were out of town for seven days, please do not break and enter into the veterinary clinic three hours prior to business hours because you think your dog is stressed. It has been there for a week, three more hours is not a big deal. Breaking and entering is a big deal.

25. If your animal's medication says "oral drench", please pay particular attention to the word ORAL. The prescribed medication probably will not be effective if you pour it on top of your animal. There will be a brief moment of confusion when you come back for more medication because you don't think your animal was sufficiently wet from the treatment. If there is any question about the instructions please feel free to ask. We don't mind answering your questions and it is highly unlikely that you will ask anything we have not been asked before.

#14 is an idea I have considered more than once...for other people's pets and livestock, and occasionally, for those people too.

Latest posts