Stock Investments

Help Support CattleToday:

What's it gonna do tomorrow?
my monkey with a dart board sez maintain tomorrow, dead cat bounce either monday or tuesday then continue to slowly chop lower.
i bought back in a little today - so i'm probably catching a falling knife. :)
I think most of the expected rate increases and inflation news is already baked in and expect turbulent waters chopping up and down in the 2nd quarter.

Might be a good time for day traders, but sux for a guy trying to build on what they have. Sitting on cash is automatic 9% loss to inflation, but buying into downward trending market only seems to exasperate the situation. Think I'll head to the blackjack tables in a couple weeks for a less risky investment venture. :)

Last edited:
This might be the year to "Sell in May and go away". "Experts" say the market averages 2% gain from May to October and 7% gain from November to April.

I've never done it but am thinking about it because the downside seems a lot greater than the upside this summer. Maybe sell 1/2 and park in in IBonds or cash.

Just a thought.

Is he assuming that we're done with bad economic news or that the worst is already priced in? I don't think we're at bottom yet.
He said that in the past. I haven't talked to him about what is going on now. But I think you are correct. Sadly.

Usually what goes up must come down and when the market comes back up, it surpasses where it was before. But we haven't been in the situation we are in right now. Hard to know what to do. Sell? Wait it out? 2007 was bad, could this be that bad, or worse? Only time will tell. But I like reading you all's thoughts.

No one has perfect timing. If you think you will sell at the peak and buy at the bottom, it is likely that you will miss those. Bigger problem is people who miss selling near the peak and then ride the market most of the way down, saying they are going to ride it out. Then after months or years, they get emotional and decide all hope of a rising market is lost and sell out just prior to a bull market. Then sit on cash for a long time waiting on a correction to get back in. Then see the market rise and rise and decide they better get back in now since the market just keeps going up. Cash is costing them money. I think a lot of people end up buying high and selling low. Might be better for a young person to stay mostly fully invested and do the market timing on just a little portion. An older person should probably stick with an asset allocation that fits their age and goals. As stocks fluctuate, an annual re-balancing of your allocation will force you to sell higher and buy lower as the allocation percentages change in the portfolio.

Might be a good time for day traders, but sux for a guy trying to build on what they have. Sitting on cash is automatic 9% loss to inflation, but buying into downward trending market only seems to exasperate the situation. Think I'll head to the blackjack tables in a couple weeks for a less risky investment venture. :)
Traders are not doing so well unless they keep their stops tight.

I thought you would be buying up that cheap land around Hutch?

Is anyone here actually making their living or a good part of their income from the stock market? I don't really know anyone that lives off a 401k retirement plan or gets money from trading stocks, everyone I know just invests for retirement. I'm wondering how this downturn affects someone trying to live off of money invested in the market?

Is anyone here actually making their living or a good part of their income from the stock market? I don't really know anyone that lives off a 401k retirement plan or gets money from trading stocks, everyone I know just invests for retirement. I'm wondering how this downturn affects someone trying to live off of money invested in the market?
Most people I know that live off of their investments moved them to a safer investment after they retired such as annuities, bonds and such.

I'm going to just ride it out, not selling any investments and continue to invest monthly just like always. Numerous studies have shown that time in the market always out performs timing the market and continuing to invest in quality funds.
I look at it kinda like owning cattle, if you buy 100 head when the market is up but the market drops, you still own 100 head, you only lose if you have to sell in the down market. Same with stocks, you still own the same number of shares, they are just worth less which doesn't matter unless you need to sell right then. And the down market also presents an opportunity to buy some shares for cheap. And through dollar cost averaging, the cheaper shares purchased will help offset some of the loss from the fall.

Latest posts