Squeeze Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Those that do a lot of AI work, what squeeze chute do you prefer? I have a Tarter with the swinging door headgate. I have found things I do not like about it. I like the scissor headgate system better. That way the head gate closes on the neck where it should with out regard to the size of the neck. It just locks when the door frame contacts the neck. With mine, you need to have it adjusted pretty close or either they pull their head back out or it is too tight to get the door shut enough so it will latch at the top. Also, I want a chute with a little more room and a better floor. I have been looking at the Perfert Rancher model everytime I go to the Feed Mill. It seems to have the features that correct all the problems and aggravations I have with the Tarter swinging headgate chute. Thanks.

With the scissor head gates its easy to miss a catch and she just goes on through and has to be recaught. I prefer the swinging gate. Once they're in, drop the rear gate, slide a bar behind her and lift the rear gate and get to it. Sounds like a lot but takes only seconds. I have yet to have one get through like I've had with the scissor gates.

hooknline":pha2dgd6 said:
With the scissor head gates its easy to miss a catch and she just goes on through and has to be recaught. I prefer the swinging gate. Once they're in, drop the rear gate, slide a bar behind her and lift the rear gate and get to it. Sounds like a lot but takes only seconds. I have yet to have one get through like I've had with the scissor gates.
Amazing, I've never missed one with the Priefert set to auto catch but I've missed a bunch with the various swinging types

Id go for the S04 costs a little more but the back gate feature is worth it alone to me.i can work them by my self from one position they walk in shut the back and catch the head one motion if im doing calves run them in shut the back then open the front done. Dont miss unless i leave it open and they walk thrrough havent done that in a long time.

bse":3deg8lbn said:
Id go for the S04 costs a little more but the back gate feature is worth it alone to me.i can work them by my self from one position they walk in shut the back and catch the head one motion if im doing calves run them in shut the back then open the front done. Dont miss unless i leave it open and they walk thrrough havent done that in a long time.

bse, I looked at the videos of the Priefert SO4. It has an automatic head catch. How well does that work for you or do you catch them manually?

I catch mine maually with the S04 i can be behind them coming down the alley and when they go in flipthe back handle there there open the head catch a little and there looking to go.alot of my cows have been there so much they walk up and stop where there neck goes but sometimes i still have to be on my toes but i think you will like either one

dun":3f41yokw said:
hooknline":3f41yokw said:
Amazing, I've never missed one with the Priefert set to auto catch but I've missed a bunch with the various swinging types
I should have clarified. Manual scissor catch. And I've seen it happen with a hydraulic scissor too

hooknline":3hk6sjah said:
dun":3hk6sjah said:
hooknline":3hk6sjah said:
I should have clarified. Manual scissor catch. And I've seen it happen with a hydraulic scissor too

I was talking to a neighbor today at the feed mill. He has the Priefert Chute also. It is the rancher model not the SO4. He said he misses them too. He said in manual mode, if you don't get it shut before the cow gets her shoulder too far along, you miss.

I have the Priefert SO4, most of the time use it in manual mode. If I have to work something by myself I use it in auto and I don't remember it ever missing one. We have missed some in manual but I think most of it was operator error. I have used WW, Foremost and a Blue Mule I think. I don't like the saloon door type gate, but did like the Foremost manual gate but it is hard to use by yourself.

inyati13":14oea749 said:
I was talking to a neighbor today at the feed mill. He has the Priefert Chute also. It is the rancher model not the SO4. He said he misses them too. He said in manual mode, if you don't get it shut before the cow gets her shoulder too far along, you miss.
That's why the auto headgate was invented

dun":1vc2m9y6 said:
inyati13":1vc2m9y6 said:
That's why the auto headgate was invented

And this is where your signature line fits perfectly on topic :D

I would have told you a few days ago that the old teco chutes never miss anything but I had my wife work the front end two days ago and had three bred heifers crawl out of that thing. :???:

Cp we had a sale barn heifer just got today and my wife decided to run big red and 400 pounder ran through too, she got wormed in alley, and that was it for today like ground hog day, what's up with two women wanting to run a teco and missing within 72 hours of another. Wife looked at me and said she isn't getting tagged today, holding pasture for her

inyati13":3dmzf1mz said:
Those that do a lot of AI work, what squeeze chute do you prefer? I have a Tarter with the swinging door headgate. I have found things I do not like about it. I like the scissor headgate system better. That way the head gate closes on the neck where it should with out regard to the size of the neck. It just locks when the door frame contacts the neck. With mine, you need to have it adjusted pretty close or either they pull their head back out or it is too tight to get the door shut enough so it will latch at the top. Also, I want a chute with a little more room and a better floor. I have been looking at the Perfert Rancher model everytime I go to the Feed Mill. It seems to have the features that correct all the problems and aggravations I have with the Tarter swinging headgate chute. Thanks.
We don't use a squeeze or head gate. Just push them up to the headgate and put a post behind them. One you get the left hand inside they're pretty calm....even the brangus ladies.

I Don't use a chute. I built a palp/ AI cage. I based mine off the one we used to preg check cattle in school. It has strait walls, you pull a chain up behind them and the front half is enclosed to make it dark to help keep them calm. It really helps speed things up since it holds 2 at a time and your not pushing them to the same area that they associate with stress.

sackshowcattle":2ukjxyy0 said:
I Don't use a chute. I built a palp/ AI cage. I based mine off the one we used to preg check cattle in school. It has strait walls, you pull a chain up behind them and the front half is enclosed to make it dark to help keep them calm. It really helps speed things up since it holds 2 at a time and your not pushing them to the same area that they associate with stress.
They have something like that you can rent from the extension office. They call it a breeding box, and it is on a trailer that drops to the ground when you get it where you want it. The cows walk in, it is dark and quiet. A bar slides behind her, you step in from a side door that is a little room that you can set up your thermos and tank in, AI the two in the box side by side, let them go and the next two load. Pretty slick set up. We tried it once, and liked it.

Latest posts