Spent grain ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
A customer of mine opened up a Brewery and offered to give me all his leftover "spent grain". Anyone heard of this ? Can it be fed unlimited ? Last question is it if any use? Thanks

I used to get it and after about a week, the cattle love the stuff. The product has no fat or carbs, just fiber and protein. I used to mix in cracked corn and I've been looking for a new source.

Would probably be similar to distillers grain that people around here will by from ethanol plants. Lower costs and still has nutritional value. Iowa Corn Growers has some good info on it: https://www.iowacorn.org/corn-uses/livestock/distillers-grains.

You can probably get the wet cheaper than the dry but will have to use it quicker as the wet obviously won't keep as long. The feedlot just down the road from us has a tub grinder so they are always buying distillers from the nearby ethanol plants and stockpiling it to mix with their feed rations as it makes for cheap feed.

Actually spent grain from a Brewery has a name.... wet brewers grain.
It's feed value can be found in most all standard feed ration tables.
Each brewery puts out slightly different batches (think light beer vs dark beer) so it's a good idea
to have it tested when you start to feed it to know exactly what you're getting.
Back in the day we paid $18-$20 ton delivered to add to dairy cow rations. (it's wetter than heck)

(oops... I over looked 5S Cattle's post before answering)

Son of Butch said:
Actually spent grain from a Brewery has a name.... wet brewers grain.
It's feed value can be found in most all standard feed ration tables.
Each brewery puts out slightly different batches (think light beer vs dark beer) so it's a good idea
to have it tested when you start to feed it to know exactly what you're getting.
Back in the day we paid $18-$20 ton delivered to add to dairy cow rations. (it's wetter than heck)

(oops... I over looked 5S Cattle's post before answering)
Wet and grows mold like crazy. I used to get it for free, about 3 tons a week, problem was I had to feed it out in a week to take the tubs back to the brewery (small) and get newly filled ones. Had to feed the stuff year round, but crazy to complain about free feed. And your right about the different brews, the cows love a nice oatmeal stout.