speaking of libraries- fav book or author

Help Support CattleToday:

A good one to read if you like American History, sorta, is Confederates In The Attic by tTony Horowitz. He goes around talking to people who are Civil War reinactors, interviews people in the South about the lingering effects of the war, white supremicists, (my spelling sucks today), and Scarlet O'Hara inpersonators. It's a hoot and it is educational as well. God book.

VanC":3smsq3vq said:
Other than that, I love reading history, especially American history. Mostly the American Revolution, the Civil War and anything by or about former presidents.

Have you read 1776 by David McCulough or his John Adams book?

I too like history, both fiction and non-fiction. I'm reading Guns, Germs and Steel right now (non-ficiton) as well as a fictional book by Anna Quindlen.

Lammie":3smsq3vq said:
A good one to read if you like American History, sorta, is Confederates In The Attic by tTony Horowitz. He goes around talking to people who are Civil War reinactors, interviews people in the South about the lingering effects of the war, white supremicists, (my spelling sucks today), and Scarlet O'Hara inpersonators. It's a hoot and it is educational as well. God book.

I read this one a few years ago, I agree with you Lammie, it was a hoot!

Lammie - I'm with you on Half Broke Horses, I totally enjoyed that book and now plan to read the author's other book.

Louis L'Amour, I go back and re-read some of his stuff every so often. He could really tell a story. One of his more unusual books was The Marching Drum, kind of a boy-to-man story set in Europe and Asia of the 12th or 13th century. One of the best lines ever, a man and woman who are just acquaintances are traveling together and share a room at the inn because it is deemed unsafe for the woman to be left alone. She warns her companion, "If you come to my bed, I shall call for help!". He tells her, "Madame, if I come to your bed, I shall not need help."

I really like the Tony Hillerman mysteries, too.

I average about 60 books a year. Everything I read is western fiction. Elmer Kelton is hands down the best western writer of all time. 7 time spur award winner. He wrote over 50 novels and I have read them all, as well as everything by L'Amour, there is no comparison. Anyone who ranches should read "The Time It Never Rained", its an outstanding book. Dusty Richards is a good young writer on the rise as well.

Isom

I always liked the work of Robert Ruark, one of my favorites is The Old Man and the Boy.

Robert Ruark did an excellent job with Something of Value.McMurtry with Lonesome Dove etc. is great. Some of his stuff is not worth reading. Rick Bragg is real, he reaches into the southern soul.
The late Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books are great detective books.
Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged is great and very meaningful, even though it is fiction it is very serious.
Non-fiction includes The Betty Book and others by Stewart Edward White.
Beyond Success and Failure -Beecher. Esther and Jerry Hicks- Abraham Books.
The Making of a Champion by Lester Sumrall. A search for the Truth-Montgomery.

Like Lammie I like biographies and don't go to the library much because of the people who go there. I go to the bookstore and read (actually buy something sometimes) but when I started going reguarly I have noticed less desirable characters hanging out there. :roll:

I've had my wife drop me off a few times at Barnes and Noble and let me read and drink their coffee while she's shopping elsewhere. It's relaxing and something different to do for a while anyway.

Ryder":181tuibo said:
Robert Ruark did an excellent job with Something of Value.McMurtry with Lonesome Dove etc. is great. Some of his stuff is not worth reading. Rick Bragg is real, he reaches into the southern soul.
Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged is great and very meaningful, even though it is fiction it is very serious.

Like Lammie I like biographies and don't go to the library much because of the people who go there. I go to the bookstore and read (actually buy something sometimes) but when I started going reguarly I have noticed less desirable characters hanging out there. :roll:

I resemble that remark! :cowboy:

One of my favorite authors is Ken Follett but the last book I read that I could not put down until I was finished was Bobby and Jackie a love story by C David Heymann .. Absolutely scandalous .. :shock: ;-)

I like to read, so does Mr HD, as long as it is interesting it doesn't really matter who the author is.

Lammie":jk8z9cl8 said:
Ryder":jk8z9cl8 said:

I resemble that remark! :cowboy:
But you work there. Not the same as bumming around. Those of us who have been here a while know where you bum around,(Lost your glasses lately?) ;-)

I love to read Louis L'Amour's books. I have read them all, starting 30 years ago and they are an easy read in hotel rooms, on buses, planes, or just to relax before bedtime. When I get a good book, I don't want to put it down, so I like to be able to read the whole thing in 2 or 3 hours. I don't really go for long novels that I have to read over several days, although L'Amour had a few novels that were worth it, but I ended up reading them straight through instead of sleeping.
Possibly the best book I have ever read was Shepherd of the Hills. Even though it was written about the area where I live and it was the basis of Branson, Missouri exploding as a tourist area, I had not read it until a few years ago. It was written about 1907 and it has just as much ethical and moral value today as it did back then. If you want something to give you a lift and make you think, it is a must read.
Isomade, I agree, Elmer Keaton's, The Time it Never Rained, is a great book. It was a really hard read for me, because it hit too close to home, but a great book, never the less.

I re-read Louis Lamour alot but not regualry. Michener is probably my favorite for multiple heavy novels. BUT, my all time favorite that I read at least once a year and sometimes twice is Monte Walsh by Jakc Schaefer. TRied to read Shane and it sucked, but Monte Walsh is great. The movie with Lee Marvin was pretty close and not bad, the one with selleck SUCKED

Here's one. Has anyone read The Help by Kathryn Stockett? It, like Huck Finn of late, has couse quite a stir with her depiction of black servants. She writes in their voices, as they would speak back then. I personally can't imagine it written in any other way and still be believable.

It's a great book, btw. I LOVED it.

Lammie":2rtqufqk said:
Here's one. Has anyone read The Help by Kathryn Stockett? It, like Huck Finn of late, has couse quite a stir with her depiction of black servants. She writes in their voices, as they would speak back then. I personally can't imagine it written in any other way and still be believable.

Yep.....read it a few months ago....I highly recommend it (for whatever that's worth).

TexasBred":19nan3jx said:
Lammie":19nan3jx said:

Yep.....read it a few months ago....I highly recommend it (for whatever that's worth).
Well, if you and Lamie both recommend it, it must be worth taking a look at. :nod:

Ryder, seeing as you are a Son of the South, you may or may not appreciate the depiction of black maids in this book. I find the split is about 50/50; especially among those who were close to their maids. Overlooking that, though, the book is a nice read and has some good humorous moments in it. There is a fair amount of controversy over it. It is being made into a movie, if it has not already happened. I will go and see it. I like to compare books to their movies, although I am frequently disappointed in the movies.

Ryder":1oupq2ul said:
TexasBred":1oupq2ul said:
Lammie":1oupq2ul said:

Well, if you and Lamie both recommend it, it must be worth taking a look at. :nod:
Well I don't know about that. :lol2: I tend to do a little speed reading in the boring parts of a book.

Latest posts