SPAM

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC

Reaction score
The subject came up on another thread and it sure brought back some memories. Thought some of you might be interested in this:

http://www.americainwwii.com/stories/spamagain.html

My Dad, like most WWII veterans, ate more than his fair share of SPAM during the war years. He grew to despise it, but swore that he would eat it once a week as long as he was able after the war ended. Said it was such a huge part of the war effort that it was the least he could do to show his appreciation. As you might expect, my brothers and I ate a lot of it growing up. My older brother hated it but my younger brother and I didn't mind it so much. I still eat it quite often to this day. Mom fixed Dad a meal with SPAM as the main course once a week, except for his last two on earth, until the day he died, 55 years after his war service ended.

I don't eat Spam anymore, but just thinking about it makes my mouth water. I love it. I love it fried, I love it with just plain bread, I love it cut in chunks on a baked potato, I love it just sliced out of the can. When I was a kid my mom refused to buy it, but I had a friend whose folks always had some in the cupboard, they had pot pies and TV dinners, and kool aid (even in winter) there too. I used to think they were the luckiest kids I knew.

angie":3hh3bqvh said:
I don't eat Spam anymore, but just thinking about it makes my mouth water. I love it. I love it fried, I love it with just plain bread, I love it cut in chunks on a baked potato, I love it just sliced out of the can. When I was a kid my mom refused to buy it, but I had a friend whose folks always had some in the cupboard, they had pot pies and TV dinners, and kool aid (even in winter) there too. I used to think they were the luckiest kids I knew.

The only think decent on that menu is the kool aid!

ga.prime":3hh3bqvh said:
Oven barbqued SPAM is some fine eating. TREET is a poor substitute.

I'm afraid to ask.......but, what is TREET.(I will wait for answer until after breakfast tomorrow AM)

Jogeephus":3hh3bqvh said:
That turkey spam isn't that bad either.

Is that made out of hog parts too?

MistyMorning":1ls8il8s said:
ga.prime":1ls8il8s said:
Oven barbqued SPAM is some fine eating. TREET is a poor substitute.

I'm afraid to ask.......but, what is TREET.(I will wait for answer until after breakfast tomorrow AM)
SPAM is made with pork shoulder and ham. TREET is made with unidentified pork and chicken. TREET comes in the same kind of can as SPAM. TREET is to vienna sausage what SPAM is to canned ham.

I have ate my share of Spam, makes a good sack lunch for fishing and hunting trips. The current Arkansas state record blue catfish, 116 lbs., was caught not far from here in 2001 by a guy using spam for bait.

Spam in a can is ok, it's the spam on the internet that POs me.

dun":yv0twzy5 said:

I've seen where the board has recently been visited by several spammers. What's the point in doing this? I assume they have to registrer like we did and for what?

Jogeephus":33gvqj9k said:
dun":33gvqj9k said:

I've seen where the board has recently been visited by several spammers. What's the point in doing this? I assume they have to registrer like we did and for what?
There are a lot of forums that don;t bother to delete spammers or spam. They get free advertising but to me it would seem counterproductive. When I'm reading about auto racing and some schmuck posts tons of crap of shoes or computers or cell phones or whatever I get POed. I would think that most others would do the same. I sure wouldn;t be making a point to check out their website to get a deal on anything. But I'm just a cranky old phart anyway, just ask cfpinz

Jogeephus":105rk6os said:
Just seems like a lot of trouble to me.
Why do people spend the time and energy to generate virus', just too much time and no life.

My Mother would dice it up along with onions and throw it in the scrabled eggs before cooking it. Everyone that tried it liked it. Its been a long time since I've had it. I might need to go shopping and buy some spam after work.

Walt

Perhaps it was dad's days in the US Army at the end of WWII, but I don't think I have ever eaten SPAM. Really. Never.
It isn't that we were eating steak every night, but mom always put something homemade on the table.
She ain't perfect. I once had hot dogs in my school lunch for an entire semester. Two dogs on white bread. She boiled them and then sliced them open because they fit the bread better that way. Maybe some Miracle Whip in there. Wow, what would the school lunch nannies say about that? Lots of calories, and most of them from fat! I should weigh 450. But I've never been fat and my cholesterol count is on the low side. Oh, and cows keep me exercised. In school we had recess and played kickball or, later, basketball. We were active, to put it simply.

Latest posts