southerner calves

Help Support CattleToday:

tapeworm

Reaction score
Heres some stuff to prove to you that its not just my word you need to take about the poor quality of your southern or southeastern calves. Its not hard to find this info if you really want to know about it. Most peopel have known it for years and years. Please dont get mad at me about it and call me names again LOL....just dont read it if you dont want to know the truth. This first is from Clemson college...it is a few years old and YOUVE MADE SOME IMPROVEMENT since then but it still applies to some of you. Hear me?? I know its not all of you!! But its way to many of you

In general, feeder calves produced in the Southeast have earned their very negative reputation because they have been unknown genetic mongrels with lots of health problems. In the feedlot and on the rail, they have not had any predictability, consistency or uniformity in their performance, feed efficiency, carcass cutability or carcass quality because of their mongrelized, unknown genetics. Furthermore, Southeastern calves have more health problems, higher death losses and take longer to get started, to grow and to feed out because they have never been dewormed or vaccinated against any disease until they get to the feedlot or stocker operation. Someone has to pay the cost of these calves' poorer performance and to get them healthy. These postweaning production costs are paid by the seller not by the order buyer's customers. The Southeastern cow-calf producer pays these expenses through buyer discounts for his calves.
http://www.clemson.edu/edisto/beef-db/bc-8001.htm

This one is newer

Summer 2002 saw this type of communication take place when a group of Mississippi veterinarians traveled to Cactus Feeders in Amarillo, Texas, to see how their southeastern calves -- typically described as "high risk" -- fared in that environment. What they saw opened their eyes to changes they needed to take back to their southeastern producers.

"Unfortunately, southeastern cattle are called high-risk because we're not managing them properly at home," says Jim Anderson, D.V.M. and president of the Mississippi Cattlemen's Association, who made the trip to Cactus. "Once we work past that stigma, we'll start getting paid a little bit more for what we raise."

"Our producers need to understand what the feedlot's needs are in producing quality beef," says Harold Newcomb, D.V.M., Batesville, Miss. "The small producer does not always comprehend his role in the cattle industry, or how he can really impact the final product in the store. The lines of communication opened on this trip are the perfect start to achieving this goal.
http://www.foodsystemsinsider.com/artic ... action.htm

Im going to make another posting about some of this same stuff on the breeds page because a lot of your troulb eis genetic...you can be looking for it...Ill call it something that that will get your attention. It needs to be on the breeds page so that it will get attention from the guys that really want to change things. If you want to be a nickel and dimer and dont care about making money it wont apply to you

skyeagle":22l40g84 said:
WOW! Just want kind of fight are we looking for.
If your talking about me Im not looking for a fight...I made a statemetn of FACT about quality of cattle and I have now backed up that statement. Some of these other guys wanted to call me things like "smartass yankee" (Im nota yankee) and other things because they didnt like what I had to say. Nexttime you boys better find you an easier pigeon to pluck befoe you cowboy up on me....when I tell you something like that its because I know it to be true

Hey Tape,

You need to become a cattle consultant for the Southern half of the U.S.. Just think you could be the one to change the direction of cattle industry. With your knowledge and positive attitude you could make millions. You could put on workshops like the horse trainers do and have your own show on RFD-TV called "Cattle 101 for Southern Rednecks". It would be a hit. I think I will put your name into Texas A&M University so they can have you present at the next Beef Cattle Short Course. Your section in will be entitled "If your still using humpty dumbty to breed your cows, your stuck on stupid". I think people would pay extra to hear your speech, I know I would.
Now for me to get your name on the program for TAMU just send me a PM with your name and address, as they are always looking for new topics to cover.

P.S. Have you ever used Black Magic as your code name to post, just wondering.

With kind regards,

Matt Schiel

Hey the truth hurts, but I keep preaching to my customers that they need to get with a good vacination program. Two years ago had a guy 10 miles down the road lose 28 head to blackleg all because he was to tight to vacinate. Also need to manage nutrition better. Oh by the way he vacinates now twice a year. Don't think he's willing to gamble his herd again.

From the words "Sweet Home Alabama" "And I hope Neil Young will remember, A southern Man dont need him around anyhow." Tape you dissappointed me.

I posted a couple articles on the breeds board thread that show how well brahman cattle perform compared to Northern cattle......we stacked up perdy daggum even ....go take a look, it's quite a bit of readin....but just goes to show....ya hafta look at both sides of the coin and do yer research before you make a bold statement like this.

Ill agree on one thing you wrote that the herd health of alot of southern cattle is pathetic to say the least. but quality is what was originaly in question. there are some great cattle in the south. along with great cattleman.it chaps my a$$ that the hard work most of us put in our cattle is overshadowed by the sorry