Sounds cheap to me

Help Support CattleToday:

With dairy it really depends on quality. I see big differences in price at dairy sales. That and milk prices are dropping like a rock so I would be careful about buying dairy heifers right now.

Dave":t0tendef said:
With dairy it really depends on quality. I see big differences in price at dairy sales. That and milk prices are dropping like a rock so I would be careful about buying dairy heifers right now.

Oh I wasn't gonna buy it to try to make money I was gonna keep it for myself :lol2:

skyhightree1":1t6dzv5w said:
Dave":1t6dzv5w said:

Oh I wasn't gonna buy it to try to make money I was gonna keep it for myself :lol2:

We had one that we milked and let the calf suck. Then when nobody wanted to milk she was treated like a beef cow. You should have bought her at that price.

Yea, Unfortunately I wasn't at the sale just watching it online or I would have bought her .. . I buy 7-9 gallons of milk a week @ 3.50 a gallon so basically 25 bucks a week on milk alone not including cheese. thats over 1200 a year in milk alone she would definately have been a welcomed addition to the farm lol

tater74":hdmvi1i7 said:
Sky, someone's got to milk her and that would probably be you. Make sure you calculate that into the equation.

I would buy one of those single cow milkers then 8) I wouldnt mind milking with that.

You got kids to do the milking don't you Sky? I was milking the family cow twice a day by the time I was 10.

You can't afford a gallon of milk? My buddy chastised me for buying $1.72 fuel cuz the oil field guys pulled the $ on there farm jobs with him chz they got laid off after the holiday in Midland. The world spins round and round....

skyhightree1":18mcg75b said:
I am watching this auction and they sold a bred jersey heifer for $725.00 shes 5 mos bred. Is that cheap or normal price ? There isn't many jerseys that are bred sold around my way. I ask cause if I was there I would have bought her.

http://farmerslivestockva.com/index_files/Page1037.htm

It would be a cheap price for a good heifer out this way, but there's plenty get sold that low simply because there's not the demand for them.
I'd want to know her background first, and reason for sale. High strung isn't cheap even if its free - and I can pick out my highly strung and low production heifers before they're born, most of the time.

Toad":3okfvuhn said:
You got kids to do the milking don't you Sky? I was milking the family cow twice a day by the time I was 10.

Yea I do :lol2:

Kingfisher":3okfvuhn said:
You can't afford a gallon of milk? My buddy chastised me for buying $1.72 fuel cuz the oil field guys pulled the $ on there farm jobs with him chz they got laid off after the holiday in Midland. The world spins round and round....

:lol2: It isn't all about buying the milk I want to be able to do other things with raw milk

regolith":3okfvuhn said:
[

It would be a cheap price for a good heifer out this way, but there's plenty get sold that low simply because there's not the demand for them.
I'd want to know her background first, and reason for sale. High strung isn't cheap even if its free - and I can pick out my highly strung and low production heifers before they're born, most of the time.

She didn't even seem nervous walked around casually looked good and everything.

A Jersey? That right there /\ would give me reason to wonder what was wrong with her. Every Jersey I ever been around, (bull, steer or cow) wanted to take my head off.

I would have bought her , but I am milking 3 right now , I do use a machine
it would also depend on the sale , if it is a general sale that is about right , straight dairy sale
springer Jerseys are bringing 2000 right now , there is an older guy buying up the bigger Jersey heifers
at the general sale then reselling as springer's at the dairy sale a couple hours away , I have seen him pay 8 to 900 a head for open heifers
Suzanne

greybeard":3vyr8wme said:

A Jersey? That right there /\ would give me reason to wonder what was wrong with her. Every Jersey I ever been around, (bull, steer or cow) wanted to take my head off.

I never had many dealings with jerseys. I was at the sale in November and a jersey heifer calved in the holding pen she wasn't aggressive either. I get in the pens at sales with jerseys I thought they were nice :shock: I guess I won't be doing that anymore.

suzorse":3vyr8wme said:
I would have bought her , but I am milking 3 right now , I do use a machine
it would also depend on the sale , if it is a general sale that is about right , straight dairy sale
springer Jerseys are bringing 2000 right now , there is an older guy buying up the bigger Jersey heifers
at the general sale then reselling as springer's at the dairy sale a couple hours away , I have seen him pay 8 to 900 a head for open heifers
Suzanne

Those springers would have brought more than that sale today. It had Blk Angus 8 mos bred heifers and cows that went no more than 1075.00

greybeard":23u9p3d7 said:

If you treat them right, they'll treat you right. All of mine are as calm as you could wish... 'cept several of the granddaughters of one US bull.

Latest posts