Some pics of the day

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
Yesterday and today we had some real nice hoar frost. No pics yesterday cause i was extracting. This morning could not resist the shutter bug urge

A chair in the bush on the cliffs overlooking the lake
IMG_1435.jpg

Some of the cliffs buried in ice from the high winds at freeze up. Normally these cliffs are well so high...but then so is the lake
IMG_1434.jpg

On the lake, should have moved to get out of the line of the fishing shack...would have been a nicer pic
IMG_1422.jpg

nice fat plump prairie chicken in a tree covered in frost
IMG_1409.jpg

saving up for a macro lens, nice frost on the branch though
IMG_1394.jpg

The bulls and the soon to be butcher cows...sooner rather than later i hope
IMG_1390.jpg

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Luv them all, that second one is really pretty RR !

Btw you can post anywhere, we all love to see pics. :tiphat: :tiphat:

Now don't forget to enter your beauties in the photo contests . :nod:

nice pics indeed... what are your temps around there now? we've been unseasonally warm, it's been about 4-8C around here and my fields are turning to mud, usually it's -10C which I would rather have

Thanks all!
Nesikep, the temps are way above normal and lacking in snow. We should be -15C to -20C about now, and since we are heading into January getting colder. But this year we had a few days here and there of -25 and averages between -1 and -10. Was melting Christmas day.
Wbvs58, the fishing shack is like a hut on the ice. People drill holes in the ice, place the shack over the 8-10" hole (24cm approx) then drop a fishing line down the whole and catch fish. The shacks are heated with wood or propane. On nice days we forgo the shacks and fish outside. Yesterday i saw a fish shack made from a septic tank. I am assuming it is a new tank. Everyone builds their shack depending on what the want. Some have the ability to have 2 holes, some 6 holes. This year the lake has many shacks on the ice. More than i have seen in a long time. Right now the ice is 18" thick and guys are driving on it with their 4 wheel drive trucks, sleds and 4 wheelers
HD, I will

Very nice, rockridge. Especially like the "partridge in a pear tree" and the frosty pine needles!

Your fishing shack looks quite large. When I lived in upstate NY, people used to fish on frozen Oneida Lake and they called their little contraptions "tip-up's" (whatever they used to hold the line in the water, I think). I'm not sure cause didn't go out on the lake in the winter. What do you catch up there this time of year?

I thought it may be something like that, sort of takes a bit of the adventure out of going fishing. I bet it is fitted out with TV, lounge, bar etc. 18 inches of ice sounds like a bit to get through though.
Hard to comprehend things like that from where I come from. Thanks.
Ken

naw, it helps with the adventure. There are holes in the shack, a stove, usually a fry pan and coffee pot...for cooking fish right out of the lake. Ice augers, usually powered by a gas engine, cut the holes in the ice. Makes for a good place for family and friends to gather along with the neighbors, cause their shack is out there too.
No tv, lounge or bar...unless you are looking for a chisel bar.

We were at the lake today, quite a few shacks on there. Not much biting though, heard that one of the trailer camps was caught dumping their sewage tanks right into the lake and it has killed most of the walleye in it now . :mad:

You know Gale, I just do not understand peoples thinking . If it was just raw sewage it might not have been that bad, maybe would have just caused a blue algae problem . But most of the chemicals used in holiday trailers for the blk water is highly toxic, they have come out with some natural green products but they are expensive and people say they do not work as well IE they have to clean their tanks out more frequently BOO bloody HOO .. :bang:

Latest posts