Sold a few

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
Sold our fall calves. These calves were born mostly in October. Prices were decent, but one thing that kills me is consistency. These calves were all born within 60 days and you can see the range of weight classes. Going to try to run a couple flush brothers on this group to see if I can get bigger numbers of like weights..idk.
41287.jpeg

Sold our fall calves. These calves were born mostly in October. Prices were decent, but one thing that kills me is consistency. These calves were all born within 60 days and you can see the range of weight classes. Going to try to run a couple flush brothers on this group to see if I can get bigger numbers of like weights..idk.
View attachment 4017
You did well.

I expect the bulls have less impact than your cows in this case. A more uniform set of cows would probably have more of an impact. I would think 45 cows means only a couple bulls. Knowing bulls, if you run them together I wouldn't be surprised to know one bull sired most. There is usually one who is more dominant, and unless they are spred out over a very large area and in more than one group, the more dominant bull will get most of the action.

A neighbor talked me into selling at Dryden were you take them and they pay immediately so I took his word and tried them. I sold 22 last week with all getting a grade 1. The males calves brought 154-160 a pound and the female calves brought in the 130s a pound. They cost $2.50 a piece to sell and I had my check within 10 minutes of unloading. You know what the price will be before you take them as long as you can get grade 1. Here are their current prices as they are down from last sale. Most of my calves were around 500-550 lbs and angus.

I have around 30 to take to the next auction 5-4-21 if I can catch as it is me, myself and I to catch, sort, load and haul. My son is a teacher coaches 3 sports and works two other jobs. Ol daddy is down on the list. I noticed he had tennis matches to coach on the sale date before and the sale day. The family he married into have close to 400 head of cattle, and he helps them out also.

Kevin Slemp Cattle

Last edited:
A neighbor talked me into selling at Dryden were you take them and they pay immediately so I took his word and tried them. I sold 22 last week with all getting a grade 1. The males calves brought 154-160 a pound and the female calves brought in the 130s a pound. They cost $2.50 a piece to sell and I had my check within 10 minutes of unloading. You know what the price will be before you take them as long as you can get grade 1. Here are their current prices as they are down from last sale. Most of my calves were around 500-550 lbs and angus.

I have around 30 to take to the next auction 5-4-21 if I can catch as it is me, myself and I to catch, sort, load and haul. My son is a teacher coaches 3 sports and works two other jobs. Ol daddy is down on the list. I noticed he had tennis matches to coach on the sale date before and the sale day. The family he married into have close to 400 head of cattle, and he helps them out also.

Kevin Slemp Cattle

As I understand the way they work, if they don't like them, you have to take them back home. Is that correct?
Also, what are their requirements on being weaned vaccinated ect?

As I understand the way they work, if they don't like them, you have to take them back home. Is that correct?
Also, what are their requirements on being weaned vaccinated ect?
They don't even ask about the weaned/vaccinated part. The trailer behind me had 8 calves and I notice him loading 2 back up. They looked like nice calves, but maybe Jersey cross and he may not have offered what the guy wanted as grade 2. He wants Angus and maybe some cross breed to get the Grade one. I have some that want be grade 1 I know so I will take them to the local market. Call and talk to the guy as his # is 276-546-1813 nice guy as I seen some trucks with KY tags and some with TN tags also. A guy I know close Bean Station took his to Glade Springs last year. He will buy about anything from my understanding, but market price maybe as good or better if not Grade 1. If I have several old cows to take, it is well worth the trip to Rutledge slaughterhouse also, one or two not worth the trip/distance.

They don't even ask about the weaned/vaccinated part. The trailer behind me had 8 calves and I notice him loading 2 back up. They looked like nice calves, but maybe Jersey cross and he may not have offered what the guy wanted as grade 2. He wants Angus and maybe some cross breed to get the Grade one. I have some that want be grade 1 I know so I will take them to the local market. Call and talk to the guy as his # is 276-546-1813 nice guy as I seen some trucks with KY tags and some with TN tags also. A guy I know close Bean Station took his to Glade Springs last year. He will buy about anything from my understanding, but market price maybe as good or better if not Grade 1. If I have several old cows to take, it is well worth the trip to Rutledge slaughterhouse also, one or two not worth the trip/distance.
I thought that Dryden and Glade Springs were the same outfit? Am I wrong?

It is about the same distance to either from here an hour and a half, give or take.
I am going to see how my heifers do at Greeneville today and my next trip with the steers may either be to Sweetwater or Glade Springs.
There is also the East Tennessee Cattle Alliance sale that only takes documented pre-conditioned calves.

It is about the same distance to either from here an hour and a half, give or take.
I am going to see how my heifers do at Greeneville today and my next trip with the steers may either be to Sweetwater or Glade Springs.
There is also the East Tennessee Cattle Alliance sale that only takes documented pre-conditioned calves.
Calves may be cheaper today in Greenville and everywhere else. They have gotten cheaper towards the end of this week . Futures prices down on cattle but up a lot on corn and soybeans.
Last week our 5wt heifers were 1.42 and 4wt were 1.45. Today about 1.35 would buy the best of them.
Steer calves i gave 1.60-1.70 last week could be bought today for 1.55.

Last edited:
Calves may be cheaper today in Greenville and everywhere else. They have gotten cheaper towards the end of this week . Futures prices down on cattle but up a lot on corn and soybeans.
Last week our 5wt heifers were 1.42 and 4wt were 1.45. Today about 1.35 would buy the best of them.
Steer calves i gave 1.60-1.70 last week could be bought today for 1.55.
That is why I went ahead and sent them. I saw prices were dropping and with feed going up, I only am weaning the ones I want to keep. Plus I will be weaning and feeding two steers for slaughter in December. I have another crop of calves to sent in the Fall. Are kill cow prices still as strong as they were? I have some culls to send at some point.

I expect the bulls have less impact than your cows in this case. A more uniform set of cows would probably have more of an impact. I would think 45 cows means only a couple bulls. Knowing bulls, if you run them together I wouldn't be surprised to know one bull sired most. There is usually one who is more dominant, and unless they are spred out over a very large area and in more than one group, the more dominant bull will get most of the action.
I saved 20 replacements out of the group and I had 70 cows at this place. Run 3 bulls. The cows are overall pretty consistent and at least 1/2 to 2/3 are half sisters or cousins at this point.

That is why I went ahead and sent them. I saw prices were dropping and with feed going up, I only am weaning the ones I want to keep. Plus I will be weaning and feeding two steers for slaughter in December. I have another crop of calves to sent in the Fall. Are kill cow prices still as strong as they were? I have some culls to send at some point.
Cows slightly cheaper. Lots of cows coming to the markets. Over 200 cows at Abingdon yesterday.
Sell cull cows a week before Memorial Day in this area usually works.

Last edited:

Latest posts