Soil Sampling Methods

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm":g27qimcc said:
Alright, how often do you do it and what methods do you use? I just came across this one and I dont think I'm a sucker but this sure looks better than trying to slam my probe into my pasture again.

http://www.collectngonow.com/

Well I aint got no fancy bucket but I use a auger bit In a length of 3/4" pvc I its 6" shorter that the bit. I just drill it in the ground till pvec is down about an Inch and the hold it over a paint can with a gallon zip loc bag in it and reverse the drill and it all falls out .

M-5":2lkscl69 said:
artesianspringsfarm":2lkscl69 said:
Alright, how often do you do it and what methods do you use? I just came across this one and I dont think I'm a sucker but this sure looks better than trying to slam my probe into my pasture again.

Well I aint got no fancy bucket but I use a auger bit In a length of 3/4" pvc I its 6" shorter that the bit. I just drill it in the ground till pvec is down about an Inch and the hold it over a paint can with a gallon zip loc bag in it and reverse the drill and it all falls out .

Ok, I'm slow so bear with me. How does the PVC go into the ground if the bit is smaller than the PVC?

artesianspringsfarm":2w2x4csy said:
M-5":2w2x4csy said:
artesianspringsfarm":2w2x4csy said:

Ok, I'm slow so bear with me. How does the PVC go into the ground if the bit is smaller than the PVC?

Unless your drilling in clay normal soil will waller out some . Try it and youll see. you may have to play with different size PVC according to the size of your bit. It does not have to be perfect fit but at least close

M-5":1f3b0y6m said:
artesianspringsfarm":1f3b0y6m said:
M-5":1f3b0y6m said:

Unless your drilling in clay normal soil will waller out some . Try it and youll see. you may have to play with different size PVC according to the size of your bit. It does not have to be perfect fit but at least close

Gotcha. I'm guessing with my rocky soil that it's going to be tough but I'm going to try it and I also like the bucket lid idea. DOn't know why I can't visualize these sorts of things on my own but makes perfect sense. Appreciate the insights.

Latest posts