So I needed a seal kit for a hydraulic cylinder . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
It was for the center cylinder on my old Rhino bat wing, the one that lifts the whole shredder. I called the local dealership and asked for one. They didn't have one in stock, but offered to order one for me. I said go ahead. I didn't ask the price. I got a call yesterday that it had come in. Great. I went in, the parts guy laid the little package on the counter, and I handed him my debit card. He said "$181.00".

I was sure I'd misunderstood, and asked him to repeat that. I didn't misunderstand. Then I asked him how much is a new cylinder. He said "$269.00." I didn't have to think about that very long.

Could have probably taken some measurements and matched up a cylinder from Surplus Center for $150.

A lot of guys fold them up and let the lift cylinder all the way down, then leave them sitting outside. Let the wings down and lock the lift cylinder all the way up if you're gonna leave it outside. The cylinders stay full of oil that way and won't rust.

Could have probably taken some measurements and matched up a cylinder from Surplus Center for $150.

A lot of guys fold them up and let the lift cylinder all the way down, then leave them sitting outside. Let the wings down and lock the lift cylinder all the way up if you're gonna leave it outside. The cylinders stay full of oil that way and won't rust.

I know I probably could have shopped around and saved a few dollars, but after not buying the seal kit I had the dealership order I didn't feel right about just leaving it there and not buying anything. After all, I should have asked the price before telling them to get it.

I know I probably could have shopped around and saved a few dollars, but after not buying the seal kit I had the dealership order I didn't feel right about just leaving it there and not buying anything. After all, I should have asked the price before telling them to get it.
You'd like to think that when you ordered it a good parts person would have mentioned the unusually high cost of the kit. I don't think you get to shoulder much blame in this instance.

You'd like to think that when you ordered it a good parts person would have mentioned the unusually high cost of the kit. I don't think you get to shoulder much blame in this instance.

I agree, but I think he was new, and yesterday he did apologize for not telling me the price ahead of time.

Latest posts