Smoke

Help Support CattleToday:

Remember how Bevo got his name?

The most popular theory is that Cadets from Texas A&M stole the mascot to brand 13 – 0, which was the score the Aggies had won by the year before. Faced with that dilemma some UT student suggested combining the 1 and 3 to create a B, made an E out of the -, added a V, kept the 0 to create BEVO.

Junipers will takeover the world given the opportunity. There are only 4 methods I know of for controlling them. 1. Cut, pile, and burn. This is expensive and time consuming. The smaller ones will have limbs growing into the ground and you have to get every single limb cut. 2. Controlled burn. Since the Hammonds got sent to prison for doing a controlled burn which burnt some BLM ground everyone including me is scared to do a controlled burn. 3. Slash and apply chemicals to the cambian layer. The trouble is the effective chemicals are controlled and difficult to get. 4. Using these pellets. Which is cheapest, least time consuming, and effective method I have found.
The only other woody species in the area is sage brush. If it happens to die that is a good thing. I plan to do an spraying of it using a helicopter.
A few picture I took this morning of my test plot which I ran back in April

PB193150.JPGPB193151.JPGPB193153.JPG

Junipers will takeover the world given the opportunity. There are only 4 methods I know of for controlling them. 1. Cut, pile, and burn. This is expensive and time consuming. The smaller ones will have limbs growing into the ground and you have to get every single limb cut. 2. Controlled burn. Since the Hammonds got sent to prison for doing a controlled burn which burnt some BLM ground everyone including me is scared to do a controlled burn. 3. Slash and apply chemicals to the cambian layer. The trouble is the effective chemicals are controlled and difficult to get. 4. Using these pellets. Which is cheapest, least time consuming, and effective method I have found.
The only other woody species in the area is sage brush. If it happens to die that is a good thing. I plan to do an spraying of it using a helicopter.

View attachment 37309View attachment 37310View attachment 37311
That looks great Dave. I'm going to look to see if we can get that up here. Chemicals can be so much better in so many ways than the alternative methods.

From info I found it doesn't harm sagebrush.

I was hoping it might work in a 9 year old logging unit that is overrun with what we call Greasewood, but there may be potential for damaging the Doug Fir we planted.

Graslan pellets which contain tebuthiuron is available here and can be spread by hand or by helicopter. It is usefull for woody regrowth, teatree, mimosa and brigalow and the likes.

Ken

View attachment 37309View attachment 37310View attachment 37311
It certainly doesn't appear to have damaged anything but the juniper.

This is the response I got from Forestry Suppliers when I inquired about potential harm to Douglas Fir.

Good afternoon,
Apologies for the delayed response, we've had some massive computer problems
this week.
Hexazinone (which is the active chemical in Pronone) is generally not
affective for controlling conifers and is used in mid rotation treatment of
understory. However, I would contact your local extension service for some
further guidance. Effective application rates vary greatly within the
different areas of our country so it's always a good idea to run it by a
professional who is more in tune with your specific area, if there's ever a
question on treating understory.
Douglas Fir, however, is not a listed species that would be controlled by
Pronone.

IF there's anything else we can help with just let us know.
Kind regards,

Mike King
Technical/Product Support
Forestry Suppliers, Inc.
601-325-3565
205 W. Rankin St.
Jackson, MS 39201

Latest posts