Simmental bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Dale L

Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestion on a blaze face sire that doesn't go back to Dream On or Legacy? Purebred preferred.

This is single trait selection and it will do you as much good as urinating in the ocean and expecting the tide to rise. Why not ask for a bull with a forelock that curls left instead of right? Because it sounds stupid, huh?

If you want to make money, and move past the cow freshener stage, you want to look at Multi Trait Selection. What does a blaze have to do with low inputs, high outputs, and carcass quality, the three things that make money? Nothing. You either raise cattle or you raise genetics.

Lol, well TT I'm in the beef business so I'll stick to the low input, high output, prime carcass and leave the Simmental bizz/game to the show ladies.

The Simmental Bulls I've had in the past were blaze faced...except for the homozygous black one...though I did get a few blaze calves From him..

Shucks, I thought all PURE Simmental were red with a white face.

What the Simmental Mafia is selling are Simmental with a healthy percentage of Black Angus.

Like I told Ron this morning, fads and trends are two different things. Black Simmental bulls with a white face are a fad. Now don't get me wrong, if you wanna make money on a fad more power to ya. But the trend in the cattle industry is low input, high output, with a prime carcass regardless of breed or color markings.

JWBrahman said:
Shucks, I thought all PURE Simmental were red with a white face.

What the Simmental Mafia is selling are Simmental with a healthy percentage of Black Angus.

Like I told Ron this morning, fads and trends are two different things. Black Simmental bulls with a white face are a fad. Now don't get me wrong, if you wanna make money on a fad more power to ya. But the trend in the cattle industry is low input, high output, with a prime carcass regardless of breed or color markings.

Who is Ron?

You asking me or thinking out loud after you read inappropriate text messages sent to your wife?

I admit, I have always liked extra white on my reds and blacks. Of course, I started with our traditional fullblood sires.
But, whether a bull has a blz face or not "should" not enter the picture when deciding who to use.
After I make my bull decisions - THEN - the WF comes into play as to who I breed to. If you breed WF to WF - all bets are off as to what the offspring will look like. Seems to release every place a white patch could show up!!!

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I admit, I have always liked extra white on my reds and blacks. Of course, I started with our traditional fullblood sires.
But, whether a bull has a blz face or not "should" not enter the picture when deciding who to use.
I imagine the ones that look for blaze, are hobbiest for the most part., and just wanting ornaments...

No... not necessarily hobbyists.
We've been going with white/blaze-faced AI sires almost exclusively for the past few years - including a full-Fleck bull (first one of those calves will hit the ground in the next day or so). That said, the white face was not the sole selection criterion.
those sires have all had well-above breed-average WW/YW, CEM, Marbling, REA, and Shear force values.

The white face is a crapshoot, though - have had (one born today) two solid black heifers by JF Milestone(a blaze-faced bull), out of white/blaze-faced cows; their steer counterparts, however, have had almost Hereford-looking white faces.
PRS Blazin Hot and ASR Longevity both put a lot of white faces on their calves... Longevity gave a good bit of chrome elsewhere, as well - but these cows go back, pretty closely, to some 1980s red/yellow & white fullblood and purebred Simmental sires... and there's a touch of Holstein back behind some of the oldest cows here.

As mentioned - I LOVE blz faced cattle - especially odd/crooked blazes. But, they are the FASTEST selling calves. Everyone wants a blazed face heifer!! they are eye catching. When I offer PICK each year of my calf crop, I usually lose my pretty blaze faced girls. Not trying to brag, but everyone of my heifers can fit nicely into someone's show string, but those marked up heifers are first to go, so I can see why some people are focusing on blazed face bulls.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
As mentioned - I LOVE blz faced cattle - especially odd/crooked blazes. But, they are the FASTEST selling calves. Everyone wants a blazed face heifer!! they are eye catching. When I offer PICK each year of my calf crop, I usually lose my pretty blaze faced girls. Not trying to brag, but everyone of my heifers can fit nicely into someone's show string, but those marked up heifers are first to go, so I can see why some people are focusing on blazed face bulls.
I had a sales consultant tell me few years ago similar EPD or even full siblings a baldy animal will bring $500 more than a solid colored one.

Latest posts