Silver crossbred heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

glacier,
We've got a lot of gray & brown cows in the herd, a couple of whites, and one silver/spotted cow just like your calf - all courtesy of several yellow(diluted) Simmental bulls we used back in the 1980s - and one little yellow line-back cow I bought in 1986, who evidently had some Charolais in her background.
Even with 8 years of breeding Angus & homo black Simmentals, I still get more grays/browns than blacks.

Lucky_P":33glupri said:
glacier,
We've got a lot of gray & brown cows in the herd, a couple of whites, and one silver/spotted cow just like your calf - all courtesy of several yellow(diluted) Simmental bulls we used back in the 1980s - and one little yellow line-back cow I bought in 1986, who evidently had some Charolais in her background.
Even with 8 years of breeding Angus & homo black Simmentals, I still get more grays/browns than blacks.

Isn't that something?
Might even be harder than knocking spots off a longhorn.
Both calves have Char and Simmy.
I haven't been trying to breed it out, but it does seem to hang on over a few generations already, blondes, silvers and smokies.

*I forgot to add, those Char crosses calves do seem to take on red coats pretty easily.
Maybe red needs to be bred for several generations before black?
Not sure if it would help speed things along.

Had four 1/2 Char cows bred to a fleck looking Simmy, red with white face and socks, 3 calves came out shades of red with just white blazes or stars, the last from the smoky cow looked like a blonde or diluted yellow fleck

Latest posts