Shorthorn bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
Some of my purebred shorthorn bull for next year . I have been away for awhile but should be back and ready for winter just weaned the calves today and sent grandkids calves to auction in BC. Just waiting for the kids to arrive as they are not going to miss going to sell their calves, not to mention a day off school.

A heifer calf from same sire

Sire and son earlier this year

Agreed, 1st couple calves look good, next couple look a bit shallow. But that bull seems to be missing his hind end. If you cover it, his front looks like maybe he just needs some good feed to be brought back to condition, but that back end... covering his pecker forward makes it look like a thin cow.

Did you just get him? Do you feel he was underfed, or not good at holding condition? The leaves on the trees tell me it was early in the fall, but the pastures look picked. Its possible he just needs a few good months of feed to be turned around, but I'm curious of his story.

If I had to guess the "story" on that bull, it is that he has Deer Park Leader the 13th showing up in his pedigree one too many times. They go through an "awkward stage".He'll grow out and look real nice, (when he's nine).

We have had a drought here this year not much grass since Aug I have been feeding rolled barley on pasture to try and keep everyone going. The roan bull is a son of Crooked post Grissom coming 2 I had 2 bulls covering 70 cows on pasture. They did a good job but being at that age and short on pasture takes its toll on bulls. I have pulled them early and they look much better now on feed.I don't believe there is any deerpark in this bull he had the highest rate of gain on the test he was on when I bought him. I used him last year as yearling on just a few and the calves are great.

Under those conditions it is understandable. The lack of groceries gave him a "Deer Park look".

Latest posts