Sharing a video

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
I got into a conversation with an ex-rodeo cowboy the other day at an outdoor get together. He was intent on arguing about how to move a herd of cows. "I won't do it with four wheelers", he said. "If I have to do it that way, I'll move out of this country". I told him how we do it and he accused me of not being a real cowboy. Fine with me.....I told him "I guess I won't invite you then". He kept bringing up rodeo, and asked me if I had ever done it. "Not on purpose", I replied, "But I have had some wild rides". He again told me I wasn't a real cowboy. I kept walking away from him but he kept following me around, yammering about horses being the only correct way to move cattle. He asked how many head of cattle we run, and I told him. I asked him how many he ran, he replied "Oh I don't have any cows". So I asked about his horses.............yup...."Oh I don't have any horses either". At that point I made it very clear that I was done talking to him.
Anyway, here is a video of how we do it. Works good for us, and we survive it all without horses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsMGF4jiynY

Looks like it works pretty slick for you grubbie! :cowboy:

On the rare occasion that I have used wheelers to bring my cattle in, I found it too hard to turn quick enough to actually stop or turn a run away.
I am more successful with calling mine in to some feed. But we are talking 160 acs. as opposed to your 700 or so!

If my country was that flat I'd probably never get on a horse either. :mrgreen:
My neighbor hires two "guys"(more often gals) to work horseback and he drives the parts that he's able to get to with a truck and hollers. Even when the grass is to green for the cows to come to hay they move just out of force of habit. He has quiet cattle that know his system.
For me, horseback is the only way because of my terrain. I got clear out of them for about ten years when my cows were here in the valley but NOTHING beats the original 4x4 in steep country.

I'd use a horse just for the enjoyment of it! (But then again, I pay to go Sort cattle every week also!) :mrgreen:

I just love your part of the country, if I can ever convince my wife to love it to we will move out that way. I bet y'all can have some rough winters though. How you do on your calves?

I would enjoy using a horse as well, but they are another chore to do, and it takes longer. I am only keeping them pushed up in a bunch with the bike. They know where to go, and they know when it's time. The wife is on a wheeler with a bag of cake, she hollers and they follow her anywhere. If I do have to do some chasing or cutting on the bike, I do pretty well. A four wheeler would be kinda tough. We have 1500 acres and we can move them all the way across in a very short time. The video doesn't do the hills justice, lots of steep climbs but I am a fairly good rider. There are a few places I can't get to on the bike, but if they can hear her holler, they come out on their own.
I just finished those corrals this year, seems to be a good system and the cows stay calm for the most part. Love the Preifert chute, we got a used calf table to go with it, like it much better than the Powder River we had.
Glad you enjoyed the video, I always like when someone posts pictures, etc. so I thought I'd share.

Latest posts