Selling bred cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
I'm going to have 5 cows to sell this fall. 3 are Hereford crosses and 2 are blk angus. All will be bred to a 22month old reg angus bull out of coleman regis 904. I considered having them vet checked and put on craigslist and cattle range and trying to sell off the farm. Is all that worth the trouble? Or would I be better off just hauling them to the barn? I've seen cows come thru and the auctioneer announce they were breed to a reg bull and they don't really bring more than ones buyers have no clue what they are bred to.

Calhoun Farm":112axljb said:
I'm going to have 5 cows to sell this fall. 3 are Hereford crosses and 2 are blk angus. All will be bred to a 22month old reg angus bull out of coleman regis 904. I considered having them vet checked and put on craigslist and cattle range and trying to sell off the farm. Is all that worth the trouble? Or would I be better off just hauling them to the barn? I've seen cows come thru and the auctioneer announce they were breed to a reg bull and they don't really bring more than ones buyers have no clue what they are bred to.

I personally think its worth the trouble I have never sold on cattle range but craigslist sure is nice and you can keep the tax man out your pocket. However, I do not trust people and do not bring them to my house because I worry they may come back and clean me out at night. So I meet somewhere in a spot away from my home.

That's the thing, its too hard to deal with hauling cattle around for someone to say maybe I'll let you know. That's why I asked the question. It's a lot of work to get cattle up for a tire kicker.

Calhoun Farm":1m0tdr8b said:
That's the thing, its too hard to deal with hauling cattle around for someone to say maybe I'll let you know. That's why I asked the question. It's a lot of work to get cattle up for a tire kicker.

Sometimes the work is worth the reward I would post it for a week and tell the people looking at it where I will be and first person to hand me cash gets it. Thats just me its not hard for me to catch my current cattle I have now all I need is sweet feed and they load themselves on the trailer :lol2: However just 1 time would I load next time the load is headed to the barn. BTW I sell a good amount of farm equip on craigslist and there are tire kickers the only failsafe is going to the barn for sure it will get sold there. However, You may establish a life long relationship with someone that wants everyone of you cattle you are selling if they like what you sold them the first time.

True. I think I'll get more serious buyers on cattle range than craigslist. I'll try both first. Thanks sky.

Calhoun Farm":25q0v4fv said:
True. I think I'll get more serious buyers on cattle range than craigslist. I'll try both first. Thanks sky.

You are welcome. I wish you the best in whatever you do.

I posted 2 bottle calves on craigslist...after a few email questions, i just started replying they were sold. Left the ad on just to see how many people were interested in bottle calves priced at 450....both sim/angus heifers. I got around 30 interested people. My problem was most were in west texas. Half wanted to know if i'd haul the calves to them. Some were just weird and i couldnt do that to the calves i've worked hard on. Decided to keep. Looks like they are worth more than that now anyway. I'll just chunk them out in a pasture as soon as they get big enough and let them grow. We buy lots of things off craigslist, we've driven many miles too to get stuff. The times i've listed things, i get a mixed bag of nuts. You just have to hold on for that one serious buyer.

skyhightree1":1wnteoei said:
and you can keep the tax man out your pocket.
Some people not only lack integrity, but they have so little shame that on a public forum they would even go out of their way to encourage others to cheat.
Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's.

Son of Butch":fan4gyqs said:
skyhightree1":fan4gyqs said:
Some people not only lack integrity, but they have so little shame that on a public forum they would even go out of their way to encourage others to cheat.

SOB dont be 1... If you can avoid getting taxed to death why not? I guarantee you I pay more than my fair share of taxes trust me. If you wan't to compare tax bills I will gladly do that with you ANY DAY. Craigslist sales are private sales between 2 people it is not a requirement to report it. The Gov't does not need to know everything we all do. I bet you have sold something in your lifetime and not reported the $ no matter how little or big it may have been so before you judge get off your high horse before challenging someones integrity.

Son of Butch":24yoto3l said:
skyhightree1":24yoto3l said:

Caesar is an azz.

Son of Butch":2fgcorkj said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2fgcorkj said:
Caesar is an azz.
In this case Caesar is America. Love it or leave it.
There is a big difference between avoiding taxes and encouraging other to evade taxes.
Put your hand on the Holy Bible and tell me that throughout your entire working life you've reported every penny you've made in any way and paid taxes on it....If you can do that with zero doubt I'll buy a pedestal to sit your sanctimonious ass on.

I would consign them to a reputable sale barn you trust, along with a shot sheet to document your vaccination protocols.

Just before or after Thanksgiving the sale barns "here" usually have the first big bred cattle special sales of the season.

John SD":17dqy5ue said:
I would consign them to a reputable sale barn you trust, along with a shot sheet to document your vaccination protocols.

Just before or after Thanksgiving the sale barns "here" usually have the first big bred cattle special sales of the season.

How dare you stay on topic here John!

LOL! Good advice.

I'd sell them private treaty myself.

Calhoun Farm":317ilvc7 said:
I've seen cows come thru and the auctioneer announce they were breed to a reg bull and they don't really bring more than ones buyers have no clue what they are bred to.
I suppose that's because they're not that much different, and certainly no guarantee they're better. One look through Craigslist will show you what type of bulls some people will register. And then you have the unknown cow factor. Without and history of the dam or sire, and 10 seconds to decide, not many people are going to pay more just because they were supposedly bred by a registered bull. Like someone else mentioned, the local barn here occasionally has "Back to Farm" sales, where things go slower and where you can provide more information on the cow and the bull she's bred to. If you don't have that information to share, you're back to normal bred prices.

We have stock cow sales the first Thursday of the month but they don't go any slower than a normal sale day. I may take them to it since its a "special" sale, they might bring more.

I'd take them to a special cow sale and have the salebarn floor them. I don't have the time to mess with all the calls, questions, and low ball offers.

Latest posts