Salers

Help Support CattleToday:

crossbredcalves

Reaction score
Does anyone use Salers?

I have (3) 1/2 Shorthorn heifers and (1) Longhorn heifer. They all ran with a Red Angus bull and should calve between April and May. I lost access to this bull because his owners have increased the size of their herd and are not allowing outside breedings any longer. My vet raises Salers and has offered to let me use one of his young bulls. His bulls all have a history of having low birthweights. This bulls sire and 1/2 brothers all have low birthweights. The bull I am getting is a virgin bull. He is 12 months old and weighs around 1200 pounds. He is short and stocky. Doc has loaned out bulls for about 10 years and most have used his bulls for heifers.

My real question is, "Has anyone on here used Saler bulls?"

For your purposes that shoud be a very good solution. You might want to look closely at the dispositions on the bull and his heifer cakves before you keep any replacements out of him. They're like a lot of other breeds some flighty some not.

3way: I am glad you brought up disposition. I was going to mention that. When I went to look at this bull, Doc took me to both of his farms to look at his calves. While we were putting out hay, the cows came up and stood there and waited on us. They didn't seem pushy, but weren't flighty. The bulls didn't seem flighty, but weren't lap dogs, which is how I like them. I don't want a bull trying to rub on me, but I don't want him in constant flight mode. I really don't plan on keeping anything for replacements. I have a small farm leased, so if I keep, I have to sale to keep the balance.

crossbredcalves":31ie3jgj said:
3way: I am glad you brought up disposition. I was going to mention that. When I went to look at this bull, Doc took me to both of his farms to look at his calves. While we were putting out hay, the cows came up and stood there and waited on us. They didn't seem pushy, but weren't flighty. The bulls didn't seem flighty, but weren't lap dogs, which is how I like them. I don't want a bull trying to rub on me, but I don't want him in constant flight mode. I really don't plan on keeping anything for replacements. I have a small farm leased, so if I keep, I have to sale to keep the balance.

Salers are NOT lapdogs. Breed em, feed em, sell em, :nod:

I've always been told that Salers tend to have larger pelvic areas thus easing calving. I have a few Salers cross cows and have to say they don't give any problems calving out.

Thanks. I am hoping to get my heifers up in the next week or so and have them preg checked to know for sure. They ran with the Red Angus bull for a couple months. The bull owner's heifers were all bred, but mine were a little younger, so I wonder if they stuck. They could be as little as 3 months along, so I want to know roughly when to expect calves (hopefully not summer). I have been around this long enough to know they will cavle when they are ready, though.

I've always been told that Salers tend to have larger pelvic areas thus easing calving.
I am hoping to buy a couple heifers from my vet in the next year or so if I get another farm leased, but for now I will have to settle for just having a Saler bull.

snickers":8k797ti6 said:
what do you guys know of salorne cow?
Used to have them at Farmfest every year but not for the past couple of years that I've remember seeing. Attempting to make a silk purse out of a sows ear

crossbredcalves":tlq39pl6 said:
"Has anyone on here used Saler?"

I bred some Saler cross heifers and ended up only keeping one. She is a top cow, but on average they had more leg and were more high headed than the English breeds.
They do very well on grass. I like them if you can find the right disposition.

Some of the best cows I've ever owned where/are saler. I have one now that's 15, never missed calving in feb. never been doctored for anything and never had an assist calving. She still weans a decent calf.

The heifers and cows that Doc has seem to have a good disposition. They are calm and good mommas. The bulls are gentle, but not pets. I like what I have seen so far. I have one heifer that I am pretty sure didn't settle to the Red Angus bull so she will hopefully breed to the Saler when I put him in. I think the rest bred to the RA.

Latest posts