Sale barns

Help Support CattleToday:

That top rail does not look high enough.

Ken
He was very large!
That is one small sale ring. Is the whole place that small? Are you wearing short pants to the cow sale?
I was!! Flip flops too!
I was dressed for vacation!
No intention of buying anything, just goofing off. Burger was GOOD!

All but one barn we use sell cows, bulls and pairs first. Then go to calves and yearlings. The one sells cows and bulls last as there is 2 sales on that day. It allows the killer buyers to make both sales. Here the calves and yearlings are sold in order consigned or delivered. Where I used to live all the sales sold cows and bulls first.

He was very large!

I was!! Flip flops too!
I was dressed for vacation!
No intention of buying anything, just goofing off. Burger was GOOD!
Please don't plan to sit by me if you were to come to a sale up here. We do have a certain dress code. You can be covered with mud or manure but flip flops and short pants?.......... we have a reputation to up hold.

Please don't plan to sit by me if you were to come to a sale up here. We do have a certain dress code. You can be covered with mud or manure but flip flops and short pants?.......... we have a reputation to up hold.
Thats not a sale barn rule. Grown men should not wear shoes with their toes exposed.

I've been know to sport cargo pants and snake boots but they were camo and it was hot as heck... and I wasn't at the SB. 😄

I always feel a little silly with those bulls. I'm 6'3 and when Im eye to eye with them it's quite humbling. You don't feel like you have the upper hand at all.
You got that right! I have fooled with more Brahmas than probably any other breed. Or at least as many. Yeah, the new mommas can get protective at first. Weanlings and yearling bulls heifers and even steers can be rambunctious when pushed wrong and they get nervous and excited. But, mature bulls like this can be some of the gentlest, most docile, calm and level headed bulls you can have. Last one I had, if he was out in the pasture with the cows, I could just ride up to him, stand there and lean over to scratch his hump or his head , Then, turn and ride toward the barn or where ever I was going with them, and he would walk beside my horse! Cows would then follow us. The stallion paddock shared a fence with his pasture, and at one corner there was a big oak that shaded both sides, On days like today you'd see him and Festus standing side by side across the fence for hours, talking about women problems, I guess. Brahmas do look mean and scary to people who haven't fooled with them any, I guess. But to know them is to love them! LOL

Thats not a sale barn rule. Grown men should not wear shoes with their toes exposed.

I've been know to sport cargo pants and snake boots but they were camo and it was hot as heck... and I wasn't at the SB. 😄
Ran the swather all day today in shorts and flops too!

Youngster tomorrow.
I'll not be attending that sale fortunately.
Screenshot_20230723-225823_Samsung Internet.jpg

You got that right! I have fooled with more Brahmas than probably any other breed. Or at least as many. Yeah, the new mommas can get protective at first. Weanlings and yearling bulls heifers and even steers can be rambunctious when pushed wrong and they get nervous and excited. But, mature bulls like this can be some of the gentlest, most docile, calm and level headed bulls you can have. Last one I had, if he was out in the pasture with the cows, I could just ride up to him, stand there and lean over to scratch his hump or his head , Then, turn and ride toward the barn or where ever I was going with them, and he would walk beside my horse! Cows would then follow us. The stallion paddock shared a fence with his pasture, and at one corner there was a big oak that shaded both sides, On days like today you'd see him and Festus standing side by side across the fence for hours, talking about women problems, I guess. Brahmas do look mean and scary to people who haven't fooled with them any, I guess. But to know them is to love them! LOL
Famous last words 😄

They'll need to keep digging the floor down...if they keep putting fresh toppings on...they'll have an incident in a few years. My Bull when he was younger at 1,500lbs he cleared 5.5'...with just one of his rear legs dragging behind.
I had a ten year old, 1600 pound Char cow that could clear that from a standing start. Coulda entered that cow in Olympic jumping competitions.

All of the sale around here have ring scales. Toppenish is a ring scale and it is big enough to put 50-60 500 pound steers on it at one time, maybe more.

Latest posts