Sale Barn Buyers Critique

Help Support CattleToday:

Big Cheese

Reaction score
I've been looking to post a picture of a calf for buyers on here to critique and couldn't find a place to post it so I figured I would just make one lol. Anyways...this thread is for CT posters to post pictures of calves that are close to being sold or weaned and for the posters that do a lot of buying or just anybody on CT to critique. The only thing I ask is everybody keep it civil so that their won't be any crazy arguments....and I am the worst one so lets try to keep it in check guys. So share pictures if you want of your calves that are ready or close to being ready to sell.

This is a Black Angus sired steer out of a Brahma cross crow that has some Charolais in it. He is 6 months old and we plan on keeping him on his momma for 2 more months. His full blood brother last year weaned at 625 pounds and he looks he could match that as of now. By sight I would say he weighs 400+.

I figured to help get this thread going I would share this steer as well. He is only 3 months old and was the 2nd calf out of our new Charolais bull that is in with this herd. It is the 2nd calf out of Hereford cow that weaned a Black baldy steer as her first calf last year at exactly 6 months old at 440 pounds and brought $2.97 a pound. So naturally I have high expectations for this calf as well. He looks like he is well on his way to surpassing his half brother from last year. That Charolais has that effect lol.

Big Cheese, it seems nobody is going to Critique your calves so I will give it a try. First realize that it may be a totally different market for the calves where you are than here.
The first calf would be discounted heavily here. It is too slick haired for this area. It also is not carrying a lot of meat or muscle in the rear end or down the back legs. It just does not have the look we like and I can't really explain what that look is.
The second calf would bring top dollar here. It has enough hair but not too much for this time of the year. I would like to have a bunch like him.

Dang Kenny our markets are pretty different. The full blood brother to that gray calf last year look identical to him and brought not top dollar but pretty close and weighed 625. That just shows how the market is different everywhere.

I knew the YWF would do good. It will do good anywhere. I wish I had a pasture full of them as well.

Thanks for critiquing for me Kenny I've been waiting for somebody too lol since Friday. I figured it would pick up after the weekend.

Both of those calves would do very well here. The yellow baldie a little better, but the other wouldn't be hard to sell either.

denvermartinfarms":1nomnacf said:
Both of those calves would do very well here. The yellow baldie a little better, but the other wouldn't be hard to sell either.

That is what I would have said as well. Both are nice calves.

Big Cheese said:
I've been looking to post a picture of a calf for buyers on here to critique and couldn't find a place to post it so I figured I would just make one lol. Anyways...this thread is for CT posters to post pictures of calves that are close to being sold or weaned and for the posters that do a lot of buying or just anybody on CT to critique. The only thing I ask is everybody keep it civil so that their won't be any crazy arguments....and I am the worst one so lets try to keep it in check guys. So share pictures if you want of your calves that are ready or close to being ready to sell.

The best critique you will get will be your check from the sale barn. At least it will let you know what the calves were worth to the available buyers that day.

Good thread cheese. Sorry we've, just been dealing with all the rain lately. I'll tell you what the second calf is a dandy . And I would be proud of it. But right now the white calf would do better at a commercial sale around here. There Is demand for anything that will produce a big carcass. Right now I would be excited to sell the white. But if I had raised them I would be proud of the Baldie.One thing, I would expect more than 625, out of a 8 month old steer bred that way. I can't get the dam photo bucket thing to work to save my life.

Another point cheese kinda pointed out. Wouldn't a commercial cattle board be a good thing. There s boards on dogs , horses , gardening, ai, show calves. I would think a board dedicated to the commercial cattle, the biggest part of the industry. Makes sense.

The bull that was the sire of the gray calf wasn't much of bull. Matter of fact I posted a picture of him on the bull thread and was laughed and made fun of about him lol. This cows momma will have a Charolais calf from here on so it should really be a good calf then.

That's why I made this thread fenceman. We always worry about breeds and pedigree of everything on the other threads instead of what commercial cattle farming is all about....taking your commercial calves to the sale barn to make your money. This way....everybody can see how different all of the markets are in different areas and if they are wanting to get started in the business then they can have a better idea of what kind of cow or bull to get to start their herd to raise a type of calf that will sell well.

ALACOWMAN":3hcdvirv said:
Were all in the cattle business, don't see a need to have a thread devoted to commercial... next thing folks will want seperate breed boards...
So a commercial cattle board on a cattle forum makes less since than a dog and cat board........respectively fenceman.

Just think the high Brow crowd. Could look at pics and say.....that pos belongs on the commercial page. ;-)

The grey calf would sell well here in East Texas, maybe not top the market for the reasons Kenny Thomas mentioned. The calf lacks muscling in the lower round. Someone mentioned that the calf was too leggy. I don't see that as a problem. I have a hard time selling the smaller framed "typey" cattle. I understand the regional differences. If the calf sold today, he would find several bidders looking for a calf to turn out and grow to 750 to 800 before going to the feed yard.

The yellow baldy will have a lot of friends at the sales I make. You don't have to be black, you just have to be good.

Big Cheese":3nbzyx91 said:
The bull that was the sire of the gray calf wasn't much of bull. Matter of fact I posted a picture of him on the bull thread and was laughed and made fun of about him lol. This cows momma will have a Charolais calf from here on so it should really be a good calf then.

That's why I made this thread fenceman. We always worry about breeds and pedigree of everything on the other threads instead of what commercial cattle farming is all about....taking your commercial calves to the sale barn to make your money. This way....everybody can see how different all of the markets are in different areas and if they are wanting to get started in the business then they can have a better idea of what kind of cow or bull to get to start their herd to raise a type of calf that will sell well.
i think its a great idea. will allow people on this board who could use some insight to learn about nuances and regional differences in the single most important trait in any calf, the ability to make money.

Big Cheese":3tn35nik said:

I'm guessing you never sold calves at .85 or less. You came of "age" during these high prices eh? Organizing your business around "what will you give me" is a good way to not last after these prices fall. Plenty of commercial guys market in alternative to great profits sometimes above "registered" people. Chew on that awhile.....

AllForage":2fqotslr said:
Big Cheese":2fqotslr said:

I'm guessing you never sold calves at .85 or less. You came of "age" during these high prices eh? Organizing your business around "what will you give me" is a good way to not last after these prices fall. Plenty of commercial guys market in alternative to great profits sometimes above "registered" people. Chew on that awhile.....

i took absolutely none of that away from his comment you quoted, infact i read it much to the opposite. maybe now you can make a sarcasm laden post about how wrong i interpreted it. :roll:

Latest posts