Sad day in Muttsville

Help Support CattleToday:

I did MIG for alot of years with smaller numbers. I never met a cow that wouldn't work in the system. Life is too short to own those kind of cows. Especially in a smaller acreage smaller numbers operation.
As I mentioned, she will be burger end of the month. I disagree, not all cattle will train to hot wire and moving pastures when you want them to.

MIG???

Sorry, not very fluent in acronym.
MIG = Managed intensive Grazing. As in I moved the cows real regularly. In my case I moved the hot wire every day. I also had a follow up wire behind the cows depending on which field they were in. Never let the cows have more than 4 days access to any portion of the field.

I suspect that Dave does not have any of his cows named. I suspect that the majority here have at least one with a name. Some have names for every cow. Giving a name to a cow might make the economics and objective evaluations just a little cloudy. OK to name your vehicles and dogs, though.

I suspect that Dave does not have any of his cows named. I suspect that the majority here have at least one with a name. Some have names for every cow. Giving a name to a cow might make the economics and objective evaluations just a little cloudy. OK to name your vehicles and dogs, though.
All cows I own are named mama, boys or baby, they know those names well. When things don't go right there is the occassional stupid b---h thrown in there or if it's really bad there might be another word that I try not to ever use that they get called. My wife says that the people that live across the woods probably think I talk really bad to her, they can't see that I'm talking to the cows and not my wife but I can assure you that when things have escalated to that point they can probably hear me.

All cows I own are named mama, boys or baby, they know those names well. When things don't go right there is the occassional stupid b---h thrown in there or if it's really bad there might be another word that I try not to ever use that they get called. My wife says that the people that live across the woods probably think I talk really bad to her, they can't see that I'm talking to the cows and not my wife but I can assure you that when things have escalated to that point they can probably hear me.

I don't have any names for mine, but there are a few that get called the B word.

I got rid of all them a long time ago. Prefer ones with names that I don't have to call them colorful metaphors!

I always named the bull. He was Mr Bull. I told my kids you always treat a bull with respect. Their reply so what is this Mr Bull #15? The rest? It is like going to prison. You get a number.

I knew a guy who was out with his wife trying to get a cow in. He was cussing the cow loudly. Things like I will kill you you no good b---h. Neighbor called the sheriff. He had to explain to a deputy that he was cussing the cow not his wife.

ALL my cows/calves are named. Don't always "know" their name, but do know their tattoo/eartag. Have to admit, I do know "most" of my cattle's name. Only ones I don't know are ones that are not "outstanding" - YET!! All are registered "Simme Valley _ _ _ _. I could just register them as a number - nah, I could never do that.

LOL - I totally understand that. We have called some of the steers that we are finishing out, T-Bone or other endearing names.
My program is a bit different than most posters on here. Males are our cash flow. All are gone by October. We feed out our fall born steers and they are harvested in October the following year. So, literally, all males are gone by October - feeder steers, bull calves & yearling finished steers. Females are priced accordingly. I have a "pick" price prior to May 1st of $4500.

You and i are on the same wavelength. i name all of mine some variation of "Lunch" and "Dinner". Cheers
When I had my first cow as a kid I named all of her calves after my sister's boyfriends. Jerry was the last one, and she married that guy. The world would have been a better place if he'd been cut and made into a steer. (Not the calf)

Latest posts