Roosters crowing

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
Our roosters start crowing around 4 am. Started this morning at 4:25. It is nowhere near daylight. Do we have retarded roosters?

Just trying to hurry the day.
We had a problem with early crowing until I realized the porch light was shining on the hen house when I
ld come out in the dark to sit around and enjoy some peace and quiet. Quit puttting on the light and the boys quit crowing

Having a light on at night is a pet peeve of mine, can't stand it. Can not understand why someone moves to the country then lights the place up like a city. To me, the darker it is at night the better.

I am wondering if the guys are competing with each other. You know who can crow first. If I only had one rooster would he crow at daylight?

mine grows at about 5, or whenever he hears another one down the road crow, and right before dark, and when "strangers" come in his yard, and when my mom crows at him. the ones in town where he came from grow at 4:30, there are 2 or 3 of them and a security light shines on them all night.

Gate Opener":e8fo3i8u said:
Having a light on at night is a pet peeve of mine, can't stand it. Can not understand why someone moves to the country then lights the place up like a city. To me, the darker it is at night the better.

Not all people who have lights were city people. ;-) Believe it or not, some of us who were born into country life have flood lights/yard lights/pen lights - sure makes it easier to more effectively see the cows when we are checking them during calving season. ;-)

We have those too.

I was referring to people who just leave them on all the time. At the place we moved from we had a neighbor who had two big guard lights, the kind the electric company puts up on the tall electric wire poles. They came on at dark and lit their place up bigtime.

Gate Opener":2jdhrpmc said:
We have those too.

I was referring to people who just leave them on all the time. At the place we moved from we had a neighbor who had two big guard lights, the kind the electric company puts up on the tall electric wire poles. They came on at dark and lit their place up bigtime.

We have one of those at the corner of the house. Comes in handy for shooting varmints in the middle of the night. My wife can get loast in the backyard since she can;t see in the dark at all. Keeps her from bumping fences and wandering around too long in the back yard since she can see the house with the light on.

Our roosters crow at all hours. Was out in the barn one night, all night with a goat in labor. I finally pulled roosters off the perch, put them on the ground and put a 5 gallon bucket over each one. That was the end of that.

angie":orz0mb5d said:
Our roosters crow at all hours. Was out in the barn one night, all night with a goat in labor. I finally pulled roosters off the perch, put them on the ground and put a 5 gallon bucket over each one. That was the end of that.

Another good use for those buckets Angie! Ours crow at night too. Pretty soon we will be putting a heat lamp on them to keep the water from freezing so I suppose that would contribute to it.

Our roosters crow 24/7. I have thrown things at them when I was within distance. I also have a donkey with this very low, loud, Basso Profundo bray who will come up behind you and let you have it with the loudest bray you have ever heard. Makes you jump!

cowwrangler":3p2ir4m8 said:
hhmm rooster crowing at 4 am,take head off and clean,put in oven on low,should be ready by noon :lol: :lol:

I like this method best. I had one used to do the same thing. Shot him one morning after many mornings of crowing too early.
Chicken and noodles were sure good the next couple of nights. slept good.

My husband gets bugged ~ I won't allow any chickens to be butchered. They are too small or too pretty ~ like duns rooster that died. We eat the eggs Sept - April though.

The light in the hen house comes on at 4:30-7:00 and on again 4:40-7:00 in the afternoon. I'll put them in molt after the holidays are over.
The roosters, yeah two...one son sort of adopted the RR so he gets to stay along with the Deleware which I like.
Chickens are far enough from the house and besides they don't like the snow so they are pretty quiet.
DMc

I have noticed that since the time changed the roosters are starting at 4:00 am, as well. I sleep till 5:15 and I don't like it when the roosters start and wake me. On the up side, I always know what time it is. Sounds like there are about 20 of them out there. I do have a lot of range chickens, so that's a possibility.

Lammie":1h1ygmwr said:
I have noticed that since the time changed the roosters are starting at 4:00 am, as well. I sleep till 5:15 and I don't like it when the roosters start and wake me. On the up side, I always know what time it is. Sounds like there are about 20 of them out there. I do have a lot of range chickens, so that's a possibility.
Are you producing hatching eggs? If not, the roosters are unnecessary so just kill them and put them in the pot.

J. T.":3t8ra641 said:
Lammie":3t8ra641 said:
Are you producing hatching eggs? If not, the roosters are unnecessary so just kill them and put them in the pot.

Have to catch 'em first! I don't have any roosters in my pens because I am just producing eggs. The range chickens came with the place. They come out to get some scratch, then hens. The roosters always stay in the treeline. You might not see them, but you know they are there. Every now and again, those old range roosters will take to killing each other and it usually gets the numbers down to something reasonable. My rangies roost away up in the trees, like more than 30 feet up. It is interesting to see them getting up in the mornings. It's raining chickens!

On this last full moon the roosters crowed off and on all night. I am ready to get rid of a bunch of them. Lammie, did yours crow during the full moon? I don't recall ours doing that before.

Gate Opener":3s6i9vma said:
Our roosters start crowing around 4 am. Started this morning at 4:25. It is nowhere near daylight. Do we have retarded roosters?

Everyones got this thing wrong. The Roosters are just fine. The only problem is that you have them in the wrong time zone.

Latest posts