Rectal Bleeding on a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
New one for me. I've got a month old calf who has some rectal bleeding. You can see him strain and an ounce or two of pretty much straight blood will come out. You can see past his sphinctre and the rectum looks irritated right up close. Its been at least 36 hours that this is going on but he is drinking, peeing, and has normal energy. Any ideas on a diagnosis and if so, should I be treating or investigating further?

One further thought, I do have a 9 month old bull in there who is now awful frisky. He is gonna get the burdizzo tomorrow because he isnt making the cut, but could he have actually penetrated the calf? I have only seen him trying to ride cows in heat.

I have seen limited rectal bleeding in calves. I assume it is caused by the normal process of the intestines adapting to solid foods. There is generally some mucus mixed with the blood.

Regarding the observed "irritation". That is normal for there to be a highly vascularized appearance.

Yep, if I have calves that get it, it's like clockwork around 6 weeks here.. Is there any chance worms could cause something similar?

I'd also add that if they have a bad case of it, on a heifer I'd avoid keeping them as replacements..(I know you said "him") I did on one, she looked great while she was on milk but fell apart the following winter..

Thanks all. Ron, I know what you are talking about and this definitely isnt that. He now does look a little loagy and low energy also. I'm thinking the armchair vet diagnosis here is probably right. It's been a miserable spring here so we have kept everyone on a pretty small sacrifice area with plenty of crap around. They are finally getting onto grass today. Crossing my fingers that this doesnt become a major issue since there isnt much else I can do.

artesianspringsfarm":1ti79ejg said:
Thanks all. Ron, I know what you are talking about and this definitely isnt that. He now does look a little loagy and low energy also. I'm thinking the armchair vet diagnosis here is probably right. It's been a miserable spring here so we have kept everyone on a pretty small sacrifice area with plenty of crap around. They are finally getting onto grass today. Crossing my fingers that this doesnt become a major issue since there isnt much else I can do.

I lost one last week . Exact symptoms blood and straining . He seemed chronic from a month old till he died just shy of 3 mths . I treated him for respiratory issues a month ago but he never fully recovered. All other calves are doing fine but I run a 5 day cycle of corid in the water trough.

Cocci responds to sulfa drugs quite well. We also use Amprol (usually mixed with a herds water supply) squirted directly down a calf's throat with a drench gun. It won't go away by moving.

There is definitely blood in the bowel movement with coccidiosis. I treat with corid by oral drench. In my case, the calves are haltered daily from about 6 weeks old so oral drench is easy and sure. It usually affects the whole calf crop.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3bcvmeqr said:
Also - agree - it won't go away - treat!

Thank you to all again. I had had a few old-time farmers advocate for just ignoring it but you guys did make me re-think that and calf has been treated with Albon (sulfadimexothone) and I will keep on top of it.

artesianspringsfarm":cvquqxct said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":cvquqxct said:

Thank you to all again. I had had a few old-time farmers advocate for just ignoring it but you guys did make me re-think that and calf has been treated with Albon (sulfadimexothone) and I will keep on top of it.

How is your calf today?

There is a capsule available up here called Toltrazuril. One treatment lasts 30 days for cocci.

gcreekrch":3jqevua4 said:
artesianspringsfarm":3jqevua4 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3jqevua4 said:

How is your calf today?

There is a capsule available up here called Toltrazuril. One treatment lasts 30 days for cocci.

Can't say that I see much of a change but maybe slightly better and not any worse. Still looks pretty miserable. I gave him another sulfa bolus this morning.

artesianspringsfarm":1fdlxczh said:
gcreekrch":1fdlxczh said:
artesianspringsfarm":1fdlxczh said:

How is your calf today?

Can't say that I see much of a change but maybe slightly better and not any worse. Still looks pretty miserable. I gave him another sulfa bolus this morning.

Can't go wrong with LA in conjunction with Sulpha. Dumb question but is one bolus sufficient for the calf's weight?

How long had the calf been passing blood before first treatment? Intestines could be comprimised and take a while to heal up.

gcreekrch":8ityqc93 said:
artesianspringsfarm":8ityqc93 said:
gcreekrch":8ityqc93 said:
How is your calf today?

Can't go wrong with LA in conjunction with Sulpha. Dumb question but is one bolus sufficient for the calf's weight?

How long had the calf been passing blood before first treatment? Intestines could be comprimised and take a while to heal up.

Sorry, should have mentioned it is getting LA200 also. The calf weighs probably 120 and the dosage is one bolus per 200 lbs.

artesianspringsfarm":19x9a71b said:
gcreekrch":19x9a71b said:
artesianspringsfarm":19x9a71b said:

Sorry, should have mentioned it is getting LA200 also. The calf weighs probably 120 and the dosage is one bolus per 200 lbs.
Gcreekrch, I'm assuming he's giving Sustain III cattle boluses. Sustain calf boluses are 1 per 50 lbs but backordered indefinitely (I have no clue why!).

TCRanch":4kmscyjr said:
artesianspringsfarm":4kmscyjr said:
gcreekrch":4kmscyjr said:

Gcreekrch, I'm assuming he's giving Sustain III cattle boluses. Sustain calf boluses are 1 per 50 lbs but backordered indefinitely (I have no clue why!).

TC, I'm actually using Albon because the Sustain calf wasnt available.

Latest posts