Rebreeding Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

DallyCash

Reaction score
Hey new here, a little back story; my hubby and I run a very small (15 head currently) red angus cross cow calf operation. We calve Feb and March. We have a very close relationship with our vet, he probably gets really tired of us sometimes, lol.
currently our "original" herd is 9 years old, we have 6 of them left. then we bought 7 bred yearling heifers this past Nov, had 1 bred replacement heifer. We did a 7 day CIDR co-sync Timed AI. We preg checked 65 days post AI, and had 2 open cows and 4 open heifers, 2 bull bred. This is really going to hurt us. The cows got down a bit this winter, it was cold here, we were limited on hay, the vet thought they were a little thin but not terrible. He thought they were about a body score of 4, heifers more of a 4.5-5. the heifers actually stayed in better condition, calves never looked bad. They got hay and MoorMan's Roughage Buster 80 until calving then they got Sedan and hay and the RB. They got turned out to pasture with the bull 3 days after AI'ing.
So... Any ideas as to why less then half of our heifers bred back? 2 heifers are going to town no matter what because they are crazy, so what do we do the others? Check for mineral issues? The clean up bull was bought in Nov as well, so rechecking him possibly. but any other ideas? I really hate to ship half the dang herd if its not their fault for not breeding back.

If they were really a condition 4.5 that is most likely why. Not enough flesh on them to adequately rebreed. A heifer will take in nutrition to support Maintenance, growth, lactation and reproduction. In that order. Reproduction being the last piece of this to happen if nutrition isn't adequate to cover the other nutritional needs. First calf heifers should ideally be 5.5-6 BCS.

Latest posts