Rebel 5500 bale density

Help Support CattleToday:

BRENTK

Reaction score
I have a 5500 rebel that the bales are not dense at all. Some of them I can stick my hand inside the middle of the bale. Any ideas? Just got the baler this year. The hydraulic adjustment is down as far as it will go. Thanks in advance.

I would suspect leaking hydraulic tension cylinders if it has them or insufficient hydraulic flow/pressure from the tractor

If you have the owners manual maybe something in there. On our NH it shows how to make the best bales. It is different than I learned when I was first introduced to hay rollers. Don"t do a weaving pattern but cross over and hold, usually for me count 7- 10, cross over and hold. Windrows about the same size as for square baler. It does a nice job of packing hay on outside. On old AC round baler it had a wider pickup than the throat of baler like the mega wide pickups do now.

dun":2e6b7k1c said:
I would suspect leaking hydraulic tension cylinders if it has them or insufficient hydraulic flow/pressure from the tractor
They will make a real tight bale as my neighbor has a 5500 and I have a 505M. There has to be something wrong with the tension.

jltrent":2gzhozf4 said:
dun":2gzhozf4 said:
They will make a real tight bale as my neighbor has a 5500 and I have a 505M. There has to be something wrong with the tension.
If it has hydraulic tension cylinders I woudl throw a kit in both of them and be done with it.

Thanks for the info. I was told to pack the sides and not to worry about the middle. From the dealer I bout the baler from. So will see if that helps today.

Well the packing of the sides cured the loose bale problems. Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by "pack the sides". I have the 5410 and the pressure gets turned "up" (rather than down) with a knob located inside the drivers side door. The baler has a pressure gauge mounted on the front passenger side that can be viewed from the tractor seat. There's also the mechanically adjusted belt tensioner bar at the top of the baler that can be adjusted.

James T":v4ghvenf said:
Not sure what you mean by "pack the sides". I have the 5410 and the pressure gets turned "up" (rather than down) with a knob located inside the drivers side door. The baler has a pressure gauge mounted on the front passenger side that can be viewed from the tractor seat. There's also the mechanically adjusted belt tensioner bar at the top of the baler that can be adjusted.
Its staying on one side or the other of the windrow and not in the middle.
I was taught to bale that way years ago. Count to about 10 then move to the other side , count to 10 and so forth. The middle of the bale will get all it needs without having to dwell in the middle.
If you have one of the newer balers with a monitor that shows each side then you don't have to count just move to one side or the other according to what your monitor says is needed.

Latest posts