Question: Hereford Verified/CHB Feeder Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwife

Reaction score
Has anyone participated in a HV/CHB Feeder Sale where you bring the calves in and group them according to weight, sex, etc. and market them in groups to feedyards?

Yes, AHA has been advertising 5 or 6 of them in the Hereford World for a couple of months. Just wanting pointers on how to organize one for my area - NE Texas SW Arkansas.

I am on the MHA board and we just had ours on November 16th. We had just over 1,000 (2/3 straight hereford) head consigned. About half (500) followed our specs being age and source verified with EID tags, weaned for 45 days with 2 rounds of shots and the other half were backgrounded however the consigners wanted and some bawling. The calves that fit our program brought roughly $80/hd premium over the non program calves. You need to get enough calves verified and backgrounded that way to get buyers there. Pretty successful. One guy said his baldie heifers brought 3cents/cwt less at Pays in Billings the same week as his straight hereford heifers did at our sale. The MHA got a "Montana Made" matching fund grant and we paid a $5/hd rebate towards freight getting the calves to Three forks. Hoping to get set up on DVAUCTION for next year and also maybe have another sale in Miles City. We also paid travel expenses/ motel room / meals for buyers.

There is a group already working on getting one of these going in the Texas/Oklahoma area.

Check your pm, farmwife.

recently had one at the stanford yard in KY. It was on the hereford newsletter that I get emailed every so often. It read like it was a great success and said that they want to make it an annual event. :banana:

There's been one in Carthage, Il the past couple of years that's also been a big success and they're having another one in a couple of weeks. I think it's a great idea for smaller producers no matter what the breed, if they can find one close enough to make it worth while. You gotta have the numbers to get the buyers interested. I've been told that a lot of the "discounts" we see aren't so much because of color, quality, or breed, but because the numbers aren't there for the buyers to fill potloads of similar cattle.

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2009 ... CT2080.php

Latest posts