Question for simmental folks.

Help Support CattleToday:

strihafarms

Reaction score
Going to look at a half blood Sem/red angus bull out of ms/gsc authority. Curious what thoughts are on his daughters and disposition. Tia

Nothing in that Authority bull's epd profile or close-up in his pedigree that would have ever warranted him getting a first look here, but I guess folks look for different things. His bottom-end MCE epd would absolutely throw him out of contention if I was looking at him as a cow-maker.
Maybe the Red Angus side will bring something of value; the Simmental half is just sort of breed average or poorer.

BTW... offspring are 'by' a bull, and 'out of' a cow.

Thank you for that! It is a pet peeve of mine too. Same thing with horses BY a stallion and OUT OF a mare. And an intact male is a stallion. not a "stud". That gets on my nerves, too. A stud is a farm that stands stallions for breeding. Since this is a cattle board, I won't get into people calling a baby horse, regardless of gender, a "colt". :)

Members on this board are from around the world. "Proper "terminology
In you neck of the woods may be totally different then terminology in a different region. Just because it is your pet peeve doesn't mean that it is improper terminology

If you live by the numbers, he is not good. Average at best for most of his traits. Bottom 10% docility (this is a very important trait to me - must be from the Angus side LOL). Bottom 5% for MCE - VERY important if you want to keep daughters. I am NOT a number person - I use them as a tool - which is what they are. None of his pedigree is anything I have delt with. So, can't say. But the two things that you mention important to you - ARE BAD according to his numbers.
For a 7 year old bull, he doesn't have very high accuracies, which tell me not very many people have used him.
Phenotypically, he LOOKS really good.

stud, stud horse, horse (said with a certain inflection and in context of conversation) all mean stallion, but around here not many use the word stallion

colt, horse colt
They're studs or studhorses here too. Stallion always sounds so pretentious, likely used by Arab breeders lol

Thank you for that! It is a pet peeve of mine too. Same thing with horses BY a stallion and OUT OF a mare. And an intact male is a stallion. not a "stud". That gets on my nerves, too. A stud is a farm that stands stallions for breeding. Since this is a cattle board, I won't get into people calling a baby horse, regardless of gender, a "colt". :)

Gonna throw ya a curve ball here, but half of the calf "came out of" the bull. ;)

Nothing in that Authority bull's epd profile or close-up in his pedigree that would have ever warranted him getting a first look here, but I guess folks look for different things. His bottom-end MCE epd would absolutely throw him out of contention if I was looking at him as a cow-maker.
Maybe the Red Angus side will bring something of value; the Simmental half is just sort of breed average or poorer.

Yep, I don't think I've ever seen a calf come out of a bull yet.
Seen plenty come out of cows though.
Straight forward isn't it?

Ken

Yep, I don't think I've ever seen a calf come out of a bull yet.
Seen plenty come out of cows though.
Straight forward isn't it?

Ken
If half the dna for the calf doesn't come Out of a bull at some point. It is nearly impossible for a calf to come out of a cow

Latest posts