Pretty Good Week

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
My neighbor and I have been custom baling some hay on halves the past few days.

All total since Thursday we have rolled up 545 big bales in a JD 567 baler.

Hope this week turns out as well.

Mike, how much of the hay do you want to sell :lol: :lol:

I am putting hay out now because my pastures are about gone, and they are not predicting any rain for us for the next 10 days.

I am looking all over for hay with no luck and I will be out of last years hay soon.

I have ten acres of cut timber land with pushed up trash rows and I plan to close in the one side this week and let them eat the brush.This year is looking worse than last year.

I guess when you only have 25 head total, you can sell down without as much of a financial impact as a larger operation.

Mike,
I bet you would be willing to stop for a couple of days in exchange for some rain.

csm

C. Holland, Afew years ago we had way more cattle on the farm than we had grass to go through the summer but we did have a large surplus of sorry hay. The stockers we rotated through different pastures and streached it out preety good but the cow calf herd stayed in one pasture with about 30 acres of very little grass we were turned on to some protein lick stations as long as you had some hay in the pasture (no matter how sorry itwas) they seemed to do fine. I don't know if this is an option for you but if it buys you a couple of months maybe you can get some rain and a greener pasture to move them to.

CSM":1cmiixnb said:
Mike,
I bet you would be willing to stop for a couple of days in exchange for some rain.

csm

That is affirmative. ;-)

Was looking at the forecast this morning, not even a cloud in the 10 day forecast. Doesn't rain require clouds? :lol:

We ran 3 - 9.5 foot cutters all day yesterday. We have come to the conclusion that we can cut twice the volume and acreage of hay with those 3 cutters as we can by running one cutter each day. :shock:

alabama":1exys58l said:
Mike is any of that hay for sale?
We may have some after all is said and done. Trying to get our needs finished and moved first.

We move into new field today that is around 800 acres. The rake and baler is running a day behind the cutters and is working out good.

Long way to haul though, we are down below Hayneville next to the "Big Swamp".

Mike, Alabama

did either of you get any of the rain yesterday, it was all around me, but not one drop fell on my place.

I did find some hay in Enterprise, it's clover and rye mix, 1100 lb rolls for $35.00

C HOLLAND":x9jknmq1 said:
Mike, Alabama

did either of you get any of the rain yesterday, it was all around me, but not one drop fell on my place.

I did find some hay in Enterprise, it's clover and rye mix, 1100 lb rolls for $35.00

No rain at my place but it rained us out and stopped us from baling at 8:00 P.M. last night.

We set a world record for replacing bearings in the baler yesterday. From the time we stopped and found a "Hot" bearing in the lower roller, it was 40 minutes before we could change both bearings and start back running. (While patting myself on the back - :lol: )

Only rolled 160 rolls yesterday. Shooting for 250 today!

Latest posts