Poly wire / rope and Deer

Help Support CattleToday:

1wlimo

Reaction score
Used lots of polywire in the past and the only option was orange. Deer took out the odd fence first night it was in a new place, but then normally left it alone.

Is there any advantage using white, or even the thicker rope, some places I want to graze this coming year have a lot of bush and deer trails.

Yeah, I've had deer run into new electric fences too. I don't think color or thickness make any difference.
After the 1st time, they are probably just a bit more cautious and look before they leap (such a bad pun) after they learn that it's there. First time after new wire is put up they are probably moving too fast and never had any problem before so any wire will catch them by surprise in any area they have previously traveled.

White poliwire has less knock downs for us than other colors like orange and black. The problem is at night so I assume it is deer knocking it down. Before I went to rope or tape I would go with a single HT wire. Sure would be a lot less trouble and risk.

We use white polywire for our temp divisions an 12.5 single strand HT for the permanent ones. The only time we have any issues with them being knocked down is during the chase phase of the whitetail rut. Then eithe one is likely to be knocked down.

Another vote for white. Like Dun, other than during the rut I've never had deer knock the white down. The yellow doesn't stand out nearly as well.
I sure don't miss the days of using large rolls of steel or copper wire, and flagging it with tin foil. Putting the fence back up was a daily chore.

Latest posts