Pigtail posts

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
What brand of pigtail posts for electric fence is best? Where do y'all get em? I need something that will last and hold up being pushed in hard ground.

We quit using the pigtails for 2 reasons. 1 was because a lot of the time I couldn;t get them in the ground but the second and biggest reason was not being able to adjust the height to what it needed to be. We use the sunclad 3/8 pound in posts with either a moveable spring clip or a plastic movable clip. The only time I've screwed one up was trying to drive it insto a sizeable rock that split the end. Those I just clean up and use epoxy to glue the damaged end back to gether and keep using them. As long as you remember to sue the pounding cap (or a spent 410 shotshell) to drive them they last for so far 15 years for some of them.

The hard ground is definitely the downfall to the pigtails. I have several different styles but my favorite for hard ground is the 3/8" round steel with an adjustable wedge clip that requires no tools. I took a head from a 2 lb. sledge and welded a 12" piece of 1" pipe to it and use it like a mini post pounder, works like a dream. The pigtails or even the plastic step in posts with a steel point are great for soft ground which I bet you don't have much of.

The worst pigtail posts are from Kencove. You would think something that simple could not be fouled up but it can. If you are right handed it is very awkward to pick up the polywire in the pigtail and when installing the posts it is necessary to stop and put your foot behind the rod posts. Lowe's was selling the pigtail posts for a good value but abruptly stopped selling them.

Latest posts